Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time to Oshkosh in 2013.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am not sure how much additional cost there is for the air conditioned rooms in the dorms, but whatever the charge it is worth it. It can and often does get very hot in Osh in summer, over 30C (over 95*F) and I have even one year seen 40*C on a thermometer there. It can even get cool, down in the 50*s F at night, but that is not the norm.

Enjoy it, and by the way when is the best time of year to visit down under?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I am not sure how much additional cost there is for the air conditioned rooms in the dorms, but whatever the charge it is worth it. It can and often does get very hot in Osh in summer, over 30C (over 95*F) and I have even one year seen 40*C on a thermometer there. It can even get cool, down in the 50*s F at night, but that is not the norm.

Enjoy it, and by the way when is the best time of year to visit down under?
    They are about $40/night more and are already booked for 2013. They do have a waitlist, but I can't state how long it is. They also have a/c suites with an in-suite bathroom this year, but they are pretty expensive.

The room I had last year had a window a/c, but didn't have a cord that would reach any of the outlets. A quick trip to Walmart solved that problem. It made the trip much nicer being able to get a good night's sleep.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Another great spot to get a unique photo is in the North 40 camping area, the perimeter road goes around the end of 9/27 and you can get some great photos of planes departing.

Thanks to all who have responded. I have taken copious notes, consulted maps and feel that we have enough info. to hit the ground running.

Our airconditioned room is located in Taylor Hall so we should theoretically get some sleep during any hot weather. The tips about from where to watch the airshow action are greatly appreciated because it will ensure that we don't sit in a useless location and then have to relocate after the show starts. Thanks, too, for the food and drink recommendations - I love my food and it is a significant measure of an enjoyable holiday. Oh, I do like those Belgian ales, particularly the Trappist brews. Sounds as though every dimension of our trip will be great!

Thanks, again, for all your assistance.

Cheers,

George

Hi George,

This may be common knowledge, (probably is!) but a large number of photo's (over 7,000 at the moment) taken at AirVenture can be found on airliners.net, which should give you some idea of what to expect. As far as photo gear is concerned, I use a 1.5 crop Nikon with a 80-200 2.8 Nikkor for the vast majority of my photos there plus a 1.4 extender some of the time. I also have a 300/2.8 that I have to leave at home as if I tried to take it my carry-on would exceed the weight allowed, and it's a lot to carry around all day! But what I do take is perfectly adequate most of the time. Where I am at a distinct disadvantage is when it comes to trying to take the smaller aircraft in the flying display, so I don't really try. The flying display is usually largely taken up with aerobatic aircraft which the American's seem very keen on, which is understandable I suppose. The advice already given by others regarding the lay-out of the field etc. is very good.

Now regarding accommodation. I stay at the uni in one of the rooms without aircon. To be honest, I've never really felt the need for it. You can open the windows (which have insect screens) which provides adequate ventilation in my experience, and being English, and living in a generally cloudy, cool climate I just love some guaranteed sunshine for a change, although I have to slip, slap, and slop as you Aussie's say or I'd be burnt to a crisp!

Alex
    Last edited by AlexC; 02-27-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks for the further responses. Sounds like the uni will be good for breakfast and my 100-400 might be the best option for airshow photogtraphy.

Thanks, too, to those who responded to my airport transfer query. I arrive at about 7pm on Saturday 27th and need to get to the uni where I'll be sharing with a mate from Australia. Would anyone have an approximate price for the ~30km journey from Appleton to the uni and the availability of taxis at the airport? I'm guessing around the $50 mark for the fare. Thanks for the continuing assistance.

Hi, George;

Just a thought or two. While the uni (as you call it) has a good breakfast deal at an all-you-can-eat price, sometimes you don't need that much food. Another option at the dorms is The Terrace, which is a small area on the first floor of Gruenhagen; this is more ala carte of a continental breakfast scope.

Fruit, bagles, toast, pastries, cereal, coffee and juices are about all they have. But, if you just want a bagel w/cream cheese, a banana, and a cup o' Starbucks, you'll get out for around US$3.

I've never made the drive from Appleton, but if you're adventurous, you'll probably bump into someone in the terminal who's heading to Oshkosh and would give you a ride. It'd be a good bet that just about 98% of the folks on any given flight that day will be heading to the show.

There's normally a shuttle bus that runs from the grounds to Appleton, but I don't recall the day they start it. The planning section of the Airventure.org website lists Nationwide Travelers at 920-734-5620 who provides a shuttle service from the airport. They may be able to give you better information.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I also use the The Terrace at the Gruenhagen (where I usually stay) for breakfast sometimes. Another option that is very reasonable is a church run outfit located near the bus station just outside the main gate to the airfield. At lunch time it's particularly popular with long lines waiting!

Interested in the views from the photographers. How much of the visiting aircraft parks are outside of the ticketed areas? I am planning to arrive late afternoon, stay two days, and depart early morning. Will I be able to access visitor parking on first and last days for a brief run round before/after the gates open and close? Thanks for any advice. David

Hi, David; Unsure of your question. If an airplane flies into Wittman Field, you can get right up to it (unless it's cordoned-off, that is...). There are no airplanes parked outside of the ticketed areas (well, unless you count those at outlying airports, but those are not the showplanes anyway...).

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton