Quote Originally Posted by Vision401 View Post
Carl O's mostly right about the sign off, but the individual DAR and FSDO may differ on 25 or 40 hours "fly off" on an certified engine. The rule was "certified engine and prop" in my first airworthy experimental. As my prop was experimental it was 40 hours. Individual DAR's can be testy. Mine wanted to see the cardboard registration not the pink flimsy which transferred ink to the registration card. I advise getting the two Advisory Circulars that spell out the process of getting an airworthiness certificate and how to test fly those "fly off" hours. One can bore circles in the air or really get to know their plane and what it can do. <snip>
Vision, I had to reply, since you highlighted my "fly off" comments. And I'm smiling as I write this.

I have just finished Paul Dye's article in the latest KitPlanes mag where he noted the same thing. I fully agree with your and his observation that it's not just about boring holes in the sky. It *is* about developing a credible test plan, and, yes, I do have one in a binder and all (oooooo! that makes it credible!!). I'll watch my language from here on out!