Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inverted Fuel & Oil?

Thanks Jim & WLIU, That helps clarify.

I should mention that a large hazard of trying something like a roll in a Skyhawk or similar airplane is that while it is possible that the airplane will do the maneuver if the pilot does everything right, I see most new aerobatic pilots make goofs that result in a surprising amount of speed and G being experienced during the recovery. It is pretty common for a first time roll to stop at the inverted point because the pilot let off the control pressure and ran out of ideas about then. The instructor's job is to gently encourage the resumption of the roll and to keep the student from pointing the nose towards the earth. At that moment you are very glad to be in a ship certified to +6G and -3G. When a low time pilot lets their enthusiasm get the better of them and finds themselves in that situation solo, only Lady Luck keeps all of the important parts of the airframe tied together. And we do periodically read about a Piper making a hole in the ground as the result of someone trying out aerobatics in their weekend rental.

If you want to try aerobatics, go to the IAC web site and look for a school near you. It is a great challenge. When you master simple rolls, snap rolls are there to learn. When you master upright spins, there are inverted spins to try. Like golf, you are always trying for a better score. And if the first flight is not comfortable, I can introduce you to at least one airshow pilot who started out with short lessons due to discomfort but built up their physical tolerance until they could fly Advanced and Unlimited figures. And then there is the confidence aspect. Anyone can fly an ILS. Fewer than 1 in a million pilots can pull to the vertical, roll, and fly away inverted.....

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS