Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
How do you get a bill of sale from someone 5 owners ago? Particularly if that owner is deceased?

Here's the scenario. The FAA owner of record is dead. There is a paper trail to the "next guy", but the FAA was never notified of the sale. You're buying from the "next guy". You need a clear, step by step, path of ownership - FAA Registered Owner -> Next Guy -> You.

I had this discussion with the registry office a couple of months ago. No doubt there can be some variation in the process because you're dealing with individuals in the FAA.
Death does not void a legal signature. I clearly stated that I had an original bill of sale from the owner of record that had not been assigned. None of the owners in the chain had ever filled in their information and registered the aircraft. If as you stated there was a paper trail to the next guy then I assume the next guy had already filled in the bill of sale to him. That being the case he would need to complete the registration and sign a bill of sale to you. If however the bill of sale had never been assigned (filled in with the new owner information) you would simply complete the bill of sale and send it in. At least per the Wichita, KS FSDO.