Thread: Marvel Mystery Oil?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    That's pretty far fetched, seeing as the 2 cycle oil and mineral oil can be blended together and run in a 2 cycle engine, plus the new 2 cycle oils are a lipid oil and thus a synthetic, and there are semisynthetic oils on the market in aviation.

There is a way to find out, simply put the two in a glass jar shake it up sand see what happens when you heat it to the temps we see in our engine oil. I believe nothing will change except the viscosity.

OBTW, there are no dispersant package in 2 cycle oil that is meant to be burned.
    Hi Tom,
    Actually there are dispersents as well as detergents. As far as being "far fetched", well its a rare set of circumstances that it can happen, however it has, which is what prompted the investigation. Is it likely, no. BTW where did you get lipids from in 2 cycle oil??????

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Hi Tom,
    Actually there are dispersents as well as detergents. As far as being "far fetched", well its a rare set of circumstances that it can happen, however it has, which is what prompted the investigation. Is it likely, no. BTW where did you get lipids from in 2 cycle oil??????
    OFF the label of the gallon I just bought.

you need to read "OIL TALK FOR DUMMIES" at
    http://www.eci.aero/pdf/BreakInInstructions.pdf

There are no detergents allowed in Aviation oil. and 2 cycle oil has none because of the metallic additives are not allowed to be burned. It's a EPA thing.

Please site your reference
    Last edited by Tom Downey; 04-03-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    OFF the label of the gallon I just bought.

you need to read "OIL TALK FOR DUMMIES" at
    http://www.eci.aero/pdf/BreakInInstructions.pdf

There are no detergents allowed in Aviation oil. and 2 cycle oil has none because of the metallic additives are not allowed to be burned. It's a EPA thing.

Please site your reference
    Tom,
    Sorry I should have been more clear. Its not uncommon for 2 cycle oils to have both dispersents and detergents. There are other detergents besides metallic ash, and the EPA does not control any of the metallic ash anyway.
    My reference is my employer, and unfortunately as much as I would love to send you internal reports, I cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Tom,
    Sorry I should have been more clear. Its not uncommon for 2 cycle oils to have both dispersents and detergents. There are other detergents besides metallic ash, and the EPA does not control any of the metallic ash anyway.
    My reference is my employer, and unfortunately as much as I would love to send you internal reports, I cannot.
    I'll stick with my original opinion that nothing will happen when you add a quart of 2 cycle oil to your aircraft engine oil.

Mind telling us what you do for a living? we won't care who or where you work.
    Me? I'm simply an old A&P-IA that has had a few engines apart and knows what he sees.

Hi Tom,
    Sure I work for Mercury Marine in the engineering department, if you are into boating then you might recognize the name. Im not trying to argue with anyone, I just have the privelage of having access to a pretty nice materials labratory, experts in the field of lubrication, and have been able to do some real testing. Just trying to share what I have learned and know....nothing more.
    Last edited by Aaron Novak; 04-03-2012 at 01:46 PM.