Thanks Frank,
Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
. . . But grousing about how it's [electric aircraft are RJW] unfeaseable won't ever make it happen.
I was thinking about this going to sleep last night:
  • electric engine assist - my 60-65 hp VW engine would be helped with an additional 12-15 HP during takeoff. The additional electric torque would provide the extra rpm to allow a climb prop to get off and climb high enough to lower the nose and get the speed up. So back-of-the-envelope looking at say 15 HP / 750 w/hp ~= 20 kW for about 120 seconds, or ~0.8 kWh. Round it up to 1-1.6 kWh for longer battery life and we're talking about a reasonably light weight Li power pack. The Buick e-assist has a 15 HP motor generator about the size of an oversize alternator that with gearing could also be the starter.
  • motor-generator wheels - provide the electric assist during the takeoff run to shorten distance and regenerative braking with ABS and traction control during landing . . . the end of hydraulic brakes.
But I'm not headed that direction . . . yet. I have more immediate goals and objectives with my plane.

Bob Wilson