"By moving the UL runway farther away just seems like you're sending the wrong message to the next generation of aviators."

Wrongway, I agree that the ULs should be provided a place to fly during the day, as is done now, that is close to the larger event. The UL activity encourages younger folks, and many others, to get involved. However, the present runway location may present some potential safety issues to the surrounding activities. Taking off on the UL runway to the N-W takes the airplane over the private campground, which is usually packed. There is supposed to be a non-inhabited emergency strip through that campground, but when I was flying last year, it was full of campers, leaving no good options for takeoff problems. Last year a Just Highlander, I believe, was doing a "show-off" takeoff and stalled just short of the fence, hit the ground, and was caught in the fence. If that stall had occurred 50 feet further, no telling how many camping units and folks on the other side of the fence would have been involved.

The final approach to land in that same direction requires flying a very careful route to avoid flying over the airplanes parked along RW36, and close to a line of trees.

Taking off in the other direction gives little option if trouble occurs during initial climb-out.

And, the runway this year was essentially shortened because the landing thresholds were moved in, probably to reduce the low altitudes over people of landing airplanes.

There may be other reasons, but I think one reason is EAA may be looking to relocate the runway to continue to allow flying, but to eliminate many of the safety issues. I don't think there have been any real serious accidents there, but if the activities continue as is, it is just a matter of time. Unfortunately.