I'm involved in a long thread on another forum about what to expect when one's project is about to be signed off as an airplane - a fellow has a gorgeous aircraft that is simply a work of art, with loads of attention to detail and strict adherence to "best practices" and is a bit nervous about it.

I reminded him that the inspection is one focused on completeness and administrative compliance rather than "airworthiness," and he had nothing to worry about, along with some common sense advice (have all the paperwork pre-screened for completeness, have everything laid out for inspection, don't volunteer information, and don't argue!).

In my case, the FAA inspector wanted me to put slip marks on the case nuts on the VW. I didn't argue, I just did it on the spot to make him happy.

Anyhow, I made the remark on how I don't see how anyone could be refused to be signed off, only to be told it happens more often than one realizes, and it's made me curious.

So can y'all give me examples of a project remaining a project after inspection, and why?