I am a 500+ hour private pilot and recently purchased a 1955 Cessna 170B. I am also studying for my instrument rating and would like to do so in my plane. I have no intentions of flying regular IFR, rather, I would like to be able to takeoff to improving conditions or get down safely from up top to a local airport and be safe.

My plane is currently equipped with a Narco MK12D with a VOR (non-glidescope) and a Apollo Garmin Sl60 GPS. The Sl60 is no longer supported and the database is too old to be practical.

I first thought of replacing the SL60 with a used Garmin GNS 430W however, the cost with the indicator and installation was exceeding $15,000.00 which causes me conflict considering my mission and airplane. I am looking for a more budget friendly alternative and here are my thoughts (to which I am requesting input). . .

1. Replace the Narco MK12D with a unit that has a glideslope (cost $1200.00 + installation);
2. Replace the SL60 with a Garmin GNC 300XL with an indicator (Not sure if the 300XL supports a glideslope?)
3. Other.

While I appreciate comments like - get a GNT 650 or 430XL. . . I already understand the cost/benefit. I just don't want to incur the expense in this airplane which is essentially a VFR platform and I intend on flying in VFR conditions. However, in my 500 hours of flying, I have been in situations in which I wish I had a safer "out". I also understand that, I will not be able to do a LPV or other GPS approaches and VOR/LOC are rapidly being replaced by GPS approaches (as an aside, my home airport has a GPS approach only - therefore, I intend on landing at another airport and getting a ride if circumstances arise)

Once again, my mission profile is "in case of emergency or just to be safe. . ." IFR. After all, I am flying a Cessna 170B and not a RV-6 or Bonanza . . .

Finally, I have just regurgitated about everything I know in my struggles researching this topic. I am ready to take the IFR written and grateful for any advice on moving forward with this upgrade to my plane including cost/benefit.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel