Thread: Any Cyber Warfare Experts?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any Cyber Warfare Experts?

Centuries ago much of warfare was naval and armies. Then the airplane was invented and became in some ways as important as either of the other two. WWII still saw naval battles but aircraft carriers became the main ship rather than the battlehships like WW I.
    Korean War was again a land and air war and in Vietnam the air war was huge, even though dominance there did not give the U S victory. The Cuban missile crisis was resolved by the threat of air war, the threat of both bombers and missiles.
    So now we are at another stage of air war, while both fighters and bombers like B-52s are important, so much firepower is missiles, and in smaller stages use of unmanned drones in combat. I saw a recent article which said that we might be near the time when no more manned fighters would be developed. Hope not.
    Anyway North Korea has done another missile test and like the last one it failed and blew up quickly.
    When the reporter asked a defense dept spokesman if the U S caused the failure, the answer was a version of no comment. So, I wonder do we really have the technology to disrupt an enemy missile launch? I hope so, but not sure how it can be done? Do the cyber waves or whatever it takes come from a satelite or from a ground facility nearby? Or were the missiles just flawed?
    Obviously I dont know much about high tech stuff, can barely use a cell phone but someone here may have a good explanation.
    If airwar is indeed shifting again from B-17 and P-51 to B-52 and missiles and now to high tech, is the day of the pilot phasing out? Will we someday have a warbird museum with computers as part of the display over airplanes?
    P S , I can sure fly a plane better than operate a computer, but again there are young folks who are great with computers, even simulators but not actually pilots.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-29-2017 at 12:44 PM.