Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
The motel and the local Chamber of Commerce have chimed in - the long answer in unimportant, the short version is "Have a nice day and don't let that door strike yer buttocks on the way out." The best they offered was to reduce the new daily rate from a bit over $200 to $180 a night. I declined the opportunity to pay over three times the original quoted rate.

I am NOT shocked that the Super 8 Appleton joins the majority of local inns in raising their rates during AirVenture to near usury numbers. When a low end place like Motel 6 is getting $200+ a night I reckon anything goes.

Caveat Emptor
I'm appalled that this is the response you received so far, very sad.

Once again, I'd like to suggest that you contact the Appleton Post-Crescent, the daily newspaper(from my previous list of things you can do).If you go to their website you'll find a 1-800 number and the name of the News Director with his direct phone number and email.

You are very right to say caveat emptor when it comes to consumer protection for it always applies BEFORE a purchase. But in your case, you could never have reasonably been expected to believe that you would have to protect yourself against such shoddy business practices by a brand name company after the booking/business transaction was completed. So it's really beware of unscrupulous, unethical, immoral business practices. The only way someone can do this is if your situation becomes a public matter. So help others avoid the same future fate.

The hotel said it was a "mistake". You know that's BS. It's reasonable to conclude that the hotel has also screwed many other hotel guests who booked when you did for the Osh time period. Once you've made the same "mistake" repeatedly, it's no longer a mistake--it's a CHOICE. The hotel and booking site made that choice, you should not have to face the consequences.