Quote Originally Posted by wyoranch View Post
1. Budget < $40,000+/-
2. i would like to have something than can do easy acro, I always enjoyed that, but it is not a necessity.
3. Luggage, load carrying is not as significant as the primary purpose is local pleasure flying.
4. I have to plead ignorance about 2 strokes, my opinion is based completely on what little I have read on the internet which seems to me to show them as unreliable.
5. Zenith ch-650 and the Vans RV-12. The issue with the the latter is that I think I would be hard pressed to complete the plane for less than twice my budget and I know the zenith would be better but still stretch my funds beyond what I hoped.
Rick
1. 40K is a good budget. You would be hard pressed to *build* almost anything and not hit or easily exceed that amount. You can go to "Barnstomers" and click "Browse ads" and then on the far right run down the list and click on "Light Sport". You will find a bunch of LSA aircraft for sale for under 40K. For example, this one looks pretty good at a glance, IMO http://www.barnstormers.com/classifi...7+Rans+S7.html

I have a buddy with a Rans 6 and he loves it.

Here is another example: http://www.barnstormers.com/classifi...AC+601+HD.html

I have a buddy building one and liked the way it flew.

You could go with the classic Cub, although as soon as it is painted yellow the price jumps 5,000 (just saying that Cubs are overpriced for what they deliver).

2. Acro makes it a bit more difficult. LSA aerobatic is not a gigantic market. I think the Rans S10 fits, but I have no experience with it. There is the F12 Comet, but that will not make your budget.

3. Almost any plane will meet that point. But planes like my old Challenger II had no place for a person AND luggage since it had a gas tank where some people put luggage.

4. Two strokes..... I share your opinion of them. I had one, didn't like it. I put 113 hours on it and was continually having to mess with it and had two significant issues with it. I have 600+ hours on 4 strokes with fewer issues than I had in the 113.

5. Both good choices... Building either will bust your budget. You can buy a 650 for 40Kish, but I don't think you are going to find an RV-12 for that budget.

These are all just my opinions and thoughts... In the end you are going to have to fly several planes before you really decide on a type. And then you are going to have to look at several before you find the one that speaks to you.....

Good luck