Quote Originally Posted by cliffo View Post
I'm about to find out if I can receive a variance for weight on my Quicksilver in the state of North Dakota, being I have to register in this state which seems that should put it under the states jurisdiction. I,m going for the safety plea,with the ballistic chute, I automatically am allowed, what 23# or close, but it seems for safeties sake It should have a flashing beacon light, brakes, a decent harness, and a steerable nosewheel. That's about all I think could maybe be gotten out of them. What's the thoughts on the legality of the state authorizing this? I'll find out this week maybe if they are'nt all out for the holidays.
The state has absolutely nothing to do with it; once you're airborne you're solely under federal jurisdiction, i.e. part 103. At most the state may require you to register it so they collect their tax or registration money, but they cannot authorize a deviation from federal regulations.

There is the allowance for a parachute as you have noted. Other things, like brakes, etc., people have argued for and failed to get included, because according to the FAA they're not intended "for deployment in a catastrophic situation."

But if it's a single seat Quicksilver, it looks like an ultralight... just fly it. Nobody's going to weigh it.