Thread: Flying a Quicksilver MX Sprint

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Flying a Quicksilver MX Sprint

Hello All,
    Some background: I'm a 140 hour Sport Pilot, who has flown the CTLS, Tecnam Eaglet and Aeronca Champ. In May, I received 7 hours of transition training to a Quicksilver Sport 2S and purchased a factory demo of the new QS MX-103 Sprint (http://quicksilveraircraft.com/mx-103.php). I have no problems with take offs, straight flight and landings, including power-off landings. (in fact, I LOVE landing this plane!) But, seem to not have the kind of control I am used to in the other planes I have flown. I have similar issues with the Sport 2S, but they don't feel as excessive.

Basically, I took off in a no wind situation to 277° and leveled off at 300 feet where there was a 6-7 knot wind coming from 290°, according to the current winds aloft predictions. This runway has a right hand pattern requirement, so I started a turn with both aileron and rudder. Well, I thought I was gonna roll over. It was a very small control input. I found myself having to use left aileron to keep it under control. If let up on the right rudder I could not turn. When making left turns (into the 290° wind), I had the opposite problem of having to shove the aileron all the way to the left to get any sort of turn. I added rudder which helped. I was just totally frustrated and a more that a little concerned because obviously I was not doing the right thing.

I get (intellectually) that between the short coupling, huge rudder and push prop blast, that this is a rudder dominant plane. In the Sport 2S, I've actually done rudder only turns. I have not tried that on the MX-103 yet.

Before I go back up, I was wondering if there was any guidance other MX Sprint pilots might provide on performing turns with that plane.
    Cheers,
    Joe
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 07-30-2015 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Fixed HTML issue.