First time posting and new EAA member.

Got my medical a couple years ago (what a pain!) and it took months working with a very difficult AME and getting help from AOPA. I was working through the Gleim ground school at the time. The delay just really through me off and then other things (life in general) just got in the way. Long story short, but the time the medical came through I just wasn't in the right place anymore.

Finally got things back in order two years down the road. Let the medical lapse and never finished the Gleim course, but I'm ready to try again. However, this time I'm thinking of going the sport pilot license route.

So, questions...

1. It seems to me that the best way to approach this, if you have the resources, is to purchase an older model plane and do the training in it provided you can find an agreeable CFI. Thoughts?
  2. So I have modest resources and can do this, but where the heck do you keep the plane? I can't find a local field anywhere that doesn't have a waiting list for a hangar (Dallas, TX area)! The pricing for hangar space seems a bit high as well, or is it just that I'm new and don't understand the cost of real estate for an empty shed on airport property ($200/mo or more for just about any T hangar I've seen).
  3. I'm thinking of an Avid, Kitfox, Just Aircraft with folding wings and a trailer to keep it in my garage or in a storage rental as an alternative. Thoughts on the aircraft, strategy, or any other aircraft suggestions? Use of the aircraft would be my wife and I only for regional day trips or hops from dawn to dusk from TX to NV or IL for family visits. 420 lbs. just for people load and would need some room for a small suitcase... 550-600 lbs. useful load needed?
  4. Anyone in the DFW area (I'm on the east side... Forney, TX) have any suggestions for a good sport license program/instructor? I've seen Grand Prairie, Addison, Denton, and Lancaster (iffy on Lancaster... training in an Ercoupe?... Not sure of the implications there with the unusual tail of the plane and possible transition issues to a traditional tail aircraft) while searching online. Grand Prairie and Lancaster are closest to me, Addison can be done, but I'd like to hear any commentary from anyone who is familiar with the facilities, instructors, pricing, etc.
  5. Anything else that anyone would be willing to share that's gone through the same situation! I'm a sponge wanting to soak up everything I can from the experiences and knowledge of those that have "been there, done that"! If i don't have to reinvent the wheel I won't!

Thanks in advance for your input and sharing your wealth of knowledge!