Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
Tom,
Thanks for bringing up a reminder. The epoxy primers need to be baked before topcoating with powder, usually done at 400F for about 10min after the curing period.
And there are URA and epoxy powders that are applied with great success on bare steel, aluminums, and mag parts.
Steel needs a etch to remove and foreign substances such as finger prints, or other oils, dirts and debris. then heated for a pre dry period prior to powder application and final bake.
Aluminums are also etched with a 6% chromic acid, rinsed and dried prior to coating, same as any application of any protective coating Liquid or power.
As I worked at NUW as a master engine mechanic I helped NUW become VOC compliant in applying proactive coatings.
Powder coating was our Saviour in complying with EPA rules for emissions on paint booths.
When you apply Powder coating properly, it is far superior to any paint system in existence today. and there are no powders that require temps to apply that will harm any metal parts in todays aircraft.

You may have privy to many lad results at Your facility but I'll match you part for part for the number done in real life.