Thread: How to find a waiver - possibly the only one ever issued!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question How to find a waiver - possibly the only one ever issued!

Greeting Gents:

I'm a brand spankin' new member here, but just passed my 30th anniversary as a commercial LTA (Lighter Than Air) pilot.

I've had a thermal - or "hot air" airship since 1987 and it was registered in the UK with a G number. I obtained a British license and flew it in the US for about a year. It's been mothballed since then - but only has 40 hours on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMXoQ...eature=mh_lolz

I attempted to get the G number registered again (it was taken off the Brit's registry for inactivity) along with an annual and new standard airworthiness certificate but found the process of having it registered and examined again by the CAA to be just about impossible - and extremely expensive - as in ship it to England and back. I would also have to re-new my British pilot's license.

To that end I intend to register it in the US as an Experimental Exhibition. Of course that would not allow me to sell advertising for the sides - which is of course a great way to make some serious $$.

I understand that a waiver was issued for a California based Experimental SkyMedia thermal airship allowing it to carry advertising, it was probably issued around 2000 or so. Unfortunately the airship was destroyed on it's first flight and the company imploded to the tune of $1.3 million...

http://www.hotairships.com/airships/skymedia/

According to that story: "The SkyMedia SMA 1001 was the first and so far only Experimental hot air airship which has been issued an FAA waiver to authorize commercial advertising flights."

Can anyone give me some guidance as to how about locating a copy of this waiver? Phone calls to the now defunct company just ring and ring.

Once I have a copy of that waiver in hand I think it would greatly simplify the task of getting another one for my airship - and yes - possibly allow me to make some $$ with an Experimental aircraft!

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Cheers,

Ron
    Last edited by RonKMiller85750; 04-26-2013 at 04:29 PM.