As described in two recent posts, I'm volunteering my help with the new free (with no ads) open-source Aviation GPS app named Avare. It already has enough cool new features that I've canceled my chart subscription and started using it on my Droid X phone for its free Sectionals & TACs.

Zubair the developer of Avare is about to release an update with live GPS location on FAA Airport Diagrams (all free still!), but there's an improvement I believe EAA could contribute to. The problem is that the free FAA Diags are not Geo-referenced, and his new feature that shows your location on an FAA Airport Diagram won't work until Avare has the geo data. Though not all Diags change with each new FAA release, they'd all need to be checked just in case. Zubair has created a rather complex bit of code that allows us to do each Diag ourselves.

Being the eternal optimist, I said maybe I could find enough EAA volunteers to do the whole 700-some US airports so that Zubair could provide them pre-done with the free Download feature in Avare. What's involved is positioning a cursor on a known point on a Diagram where the lat/long lines meet, then move the cursor diagonally to another point and do the same. This allows Avare to calculate the orientation and scale of the Diagram so that it can display the GPS cursor that tracks your progress.

Question (at last): Are there enough EAA volunteers to do this, or should we just stay with each Avare doing it themselves for each airport in advance of using Avare on that field? Could we find 360 or so who'd do two airports each, or 700 who'd do just one? I thought about figuring out a way to collect the inputs pilots do for themselves, but that would require changing Avare's installation Permissions to add what I personally don't like to see in apps.

I'm also looking for someone to beg for geo data at the FAA, but that could take months.

Impressions??