Quote Originally Posted by tonycondon View Post
hey may have Continental confused with Lycoming. my advice to anyone considering a Lycoming powered Chief is to run away.
I agree. The Lycoming is 65 h.p. in name only......probably actually about 55 h.p. By the way, whoever told you that the Continental A65 is unreliable doesn't know what he's talking about. They will even run good when very sick. I have flown Cubs, Champs, Chiefs, T-Crafts off and on for 59 years. I never had one quit. I have had carb ice, but you just watch for it when the conditions are right for the formation. I think the 0-200 is the worse for carb ice. The Stromberg carb is really nothing but an old tractor carb. Their have been, to my knowledge, no AD's ever issued on it. When the delrin needle is installed, a weight has to be soldered on the float to make it seat because it is so light. The steel needle tended to leak. The rubber tipped one worked real well until they started putting junk in the gasoline. Some of the additives in auto fyel(not just alcohol) would make that rubber tip swell up like a pregnant cow and shut the gas off. The Chiefs and Champs are both good little planes.