Hey there fellow EAA'ers! My cousin and I have been saying that we'll go for our pilot's licenses soon, yet college and work really have a knack for getting in the way of it. Now that we're both slightly closer to actually going and just doing it, I was hoping some of you would be able to offer your advice and experience to us dreamers.

First off, I'm kind of hung up on which license to go for right now - private, rec, or sport. At this point I'm eager to get into the air at all, but I know that I will eventually want my private pilot's license (maybe when I have a little more leeway in time and money). Is it easier to get the sport first and work up later or will it make more sense to just go for the private license right off the bat?

Does anyone have suggestions as far as ground school material goes? I've been leaning toward the Sporty's program, but I know a lot of folks have used Jeppsens or Gleim too. Just wondering if anyone has any say one way or another.

And finally, (for now ) is it better to learn at a towered or non-towered airport? I've noticed quite a bit of debate about this on the web and have been pretty tied up about it myself. I live close enough to FBO's at both, so I'm not sure where I should be trying to go. Any thoughts?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions or thoughts you guys have!