Back in January of 2011 when Rod Hightower began his grass roots pilot tour, it all made sense. The purpose of the tour was to introduce himself to the membership, learn more about the inner workings of the organization and offer insights and other findings in his Tower Frequency column. Since then a pattern has emerged, and his commentaries are more about Rod Hightower then EAA or general aviation.

In his April 2012 Commentary about membership services for instance, Rod stands prominent over membership manager Vicky Norton. Why? And why is Hightower pictured sitting in a B17, covering almost a quarter of page 1 of the May issue commentary, when it is about unsafe hand-propping of an airplane? Then there is the June issue commentary, and it is all about Rod’s family, particularly his son’s soloing at age 16. I must admit that it is nice to know a little about his family, but his story was centered on it, not the experience of a first solo. And did you notice who stands out in the trio pictured in J. Mac Mcclellan’s column this month? Always bigger than life and usually on the left side is Rod, even though the column is about Bob Vuksanovic. Ok, so I’m being too critical, Rod is a big guy and would naturally stand out in any photograph. Obviously the problem is in the photography.

Rod owns a Stearman and a T-6? That seems to be the case according to Jeff Skiles June 2012 column. He also flies it in the dark without lighting on the instrument panel. As leader of a safety conscious organization such as the EAA, is this setting the right example? Is it wise? While practicing flying seat of the pants may be good practice if done with a safety pilot on board that is using flight instruments, it should not be condoned or considered safe.

With due respect to Rod who is I am sure is doing his very best for EAA, I am perhaps being too sensitive. I never had any issues with either Paul or Tom Poberezny, and perhaps I am acting like an old man that's resistant to change.

Bernie