Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Airventure 2021 App?

The Apple version of the app is an absolute bust this year. Enter anything into search and get an instant crash, completely closing the app, then taking literally several minutes to restart. It was pretty helpful in 2018 but very limited in usefulness this year. But, it doesn’t cost anything either, so there’s that.

Once I finally got the app installed, I organized my schedule. It worked fine for Monday but, come Tuesday, everything I had saved was gone. Also, when I looked for events, there was nothing. App was worthless for me. It worked fine the other years I used it though.

Dear EAA... thank you for putting forth the effort (and expense) to have an AirVenture app. The effort is appreciated. The app itself, however, is an unmitigated mess.

I'm a Senior User Experience Architect, meaning, I have a few decades of designing technology and how humans interact with it. My goal in my career: make people NOT want to throw their tech as far as they can. This app has some very serious user experience challenges. I'm pretty sure it's a vendor-provided solution, so perhaps your hands are tied (somewhat...) on this. But considering the app is nearly useless, either some things need to be fixed, or an entirely new solution needs to be used.

So, here I am. I'm happy to volunteer my services to help make the app a fantastic tool that helps users instead of frustrating them. Please, feel free to DM me (or, I'm sure the site admin can see my email address, so you could email me as well). Let's talk, and let's make this application a delightful useful thing.

A few quick notes based on my limited usage (limited only because it was so *redacted* frustrating to use):

- Offline data: With the often terrible Wifi and wireless network saturation (as well as folks like myself blazing through our data plans), offline data in an app like this is a must.
    - Sort by date/time: this was probably my greatest frustration. Why in the world were the event listings not sorted by date/time? That makes it nearly impossible to figure out how to manage your daily schedule to ensure you didn't try to go to two forums at the same time.
    - Reading descriptions: if you tried to read an event description, then go back to the list of events, you had to scroll all the way back down to where you were... in an event list that seemed to be sorted completely randomly
    - Event locations not shown: Sure, you could click on the map icon, but from what I could see, it was never noted in text where the events where located. Additionally, on my friend's older iPhone, clicking the map icon either didn't do anything or crashed the app.
    - App not linked at all to the website: Another major miss. I was completely shocked that I had built up a schedule on the website, then logged into the app and... nothing. Pretty incredible missed opportunity.

I have other significant areas of improvement, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

As I mentioned before... happy to volunteer my services as a seasoned user experience professional to make this thing better. I hate to just dump a bunch of criticism then disappear. I'm willing to constructively criticize, and then help to fix the situation.

Drop me a line.

Steven with your experience, is there a link to provide real suggestions to EAA Management about some REAL issues in Camp Scholler? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Vr
    Mike Wordell
    Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by MNWORD View Post
    Steven with your experience, is there a link to provide real suggestions to EAA Management about some REAL issues in Camp Scholler? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Vr
    Mike Wordell
    Lifetime Member
    I’m big on process improvement. It’s part of my daily job. I’m not entirely sure how open EAA is to Scholler improvements.

I think the app issues are very real, as the app’s utility is greatly diminished due to the usability problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve,
    I think you hit it on the head with off-line usage. The app worked quite well in '18 and '19. I even used the GPS feature to find buildings for different forums and it worked fine. However, my problems may have been with cell saturation this year.
    Wes