Thread: Does the recent sport pilot examnier medical rule change the catch 22?

Does the recent sport pilot examnier medical rule change the catch 22?

I'm not clear on if it does or not. If It dosen't is there any effort to change this catch 22; so that those of us that have a drivers license and good health can fly. I could probably pass a third class but I don't have the money to fight that battle and afford to fly within two years of that expense.

Catch 22

We continue to try to eliminate the catch 22 but it is a legal issue and not really a medical one. If a 3rd class is a possibility please contact Sue Selachek at EAA headquarters at 920-426-6112. We can try to find the most cost-efficient way to get you past the 3rd class. Regards, Greg Pinnell, MD EAA Aeromedical Council.

Speaking only as an engineer, which certainly doesn't qualify me to interpret legal documentation (attorneys and engineers, with the exception of patent attorneys, are mutually antagonistic occupations), I would think that "This document corrects an error in the codified text of that document to permit a person serving as an examiner and administering a practical test for the issuance of a sport pilot certificate in a light-sport aircraft other than a glider or balloon to hold either a medical certificate or a U.S. driver’s license." This quote from the Federal Register /Vol. 76, No. 242 / Friday, December 16, 2011 seems to address examiners giving practical tests to applicants for a sport pilot certificate only and doesn't address in any way the catch-22 situation as I would read it. I doubt that there will be any resolution to that problem in my lifetime given the geologic pace at which our government moves. I let my medical quietly elapse some years ago just to avoid such an exigency.
    Bill

Getting paid for SP instruction.

Doesn't getting paid require a commercial which would require a second class medical? I have the commercial but a third class medical. Thanks.

Legal issue?

Quote Originally Posted by gpinnell View Post
    We continue to try to eliminate the catch 22 but it is a legal issue and not really a medical one. If a 3rd class is a possibility please contact Sue Selachek at EAA headquarters at 920-426-6112. We can try to find the most cost-efficient way to get you past the 3rd class. Regards, Greg Pinnell, MD EAA Aeromedical Council.
    This is the second time I've heard the Catch 22 refered to as a legal issue. Could you please explain? How does this get resolved?

Tim

No, look at 61:23 medical is NOT required;

"(5) When exercising the privileges of a flight instructor certificate if the person is not acting as pilot in command or serving as a required pilot flight crewmember"

Yes, and even the times when you are PIC or a required flight crew member, it only takes a third (even if you're being paid as an instructor).

SP Instructor

Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas!