Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How early to arrive for good rv camping

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    But approximately how far would you say it is from the entrance of the convention area to the sites out by 41? 1 mile? More/less?
    As near as I can guess from the last time I went, 2018 and I was only 71 and pre knee replacement, I'd say about 35 miles !!! After that trip, I got a Titanium knee !
    Bob
    Robert, i looked at Google Earth and from an extreme location in the south west corner of Scholler, to the gate near the bicycle parking corral, it is about 1 mile, straight line. But remember that busses run thru there and take you to the gate. If you are camped at Scholler, you will not ever have to go the the "entrance to the convention" gate. You will get wristbands (maybe you have pre-ordered them) so no need to do anything but go thru the gate there. Maybe there is another one closer, but that gate is just south of the four main exhibit buildings (A, B, C and D).....I am planning on flying up but if I don't I will be camping at Scholler. We are pretty much the same age, but your titanium knee is probably better than my original equipment.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    Robert, i looked at Google Earth and from an extreme location in the south west corner of Scholler, to the gate near the bicycle parking corral, it is about 1 mile, straight line. But remember that busses run thru there and take you to the gate. If you are camped at Scholler, you will not ever have to go the the "entrance to the convention" gate. You will get wristbands (maybe you have pre-ordered them) so no need to do anything but go thru the gate there. Maybe there is another one closer, but that gate is just south of the four main exhibit buildings (A, B, C and D).....I am planning on flying up but if I don't I will be camping at Scholler. We are pretty much the same age, but your titanium knee is probably better than my original equipment.
    Yes indeed Inspector Fenwick, my new knee is ssssoooooo much better than the original and is virtually pain free, just an occasional crack or pop and sometimes a little pain but I'll take it. Of course I was joking but my walking was cut way to short that year. This year I will be flying in with a friend in our 1966 Cessna 150f and camping with the plane, I can't take much of that either but flying in has been on our bucket list for a while so we're going for it. We haven't decided if we're going to camp in vintage or just where they put us. I will spend a lot of time in the ultralight and sport plane area, and of course hit the fly market, camp store and get a tee shirt or two. We aren't going to try to see it all this time, just keeping it low key. Thanks for info.
    Bob

This is all good information. We enjoy biking and 1 mile is nothing on a bike for us. So probably won't be too bad.

Yes indeed Inspector Fenwick, my new knee is ssssoooooo much better than the original and is virtually pain free, just an occasional crack or pop and sometimes a little pain but I'll take it. Of course I was joking but my walking was cut way to short that year. This year I will be flying in with a friend in our 1966 Cessna 150f and camping with the plane, I can't take much of that either but flying in has been on our bucket list for a while so we're going for it. We haven't decided if we're going to camp in vintage or just where they put us. I will spend a lot of time in the ultralight and sport plane area, and of course hit the fly market, camp store and get a tee shirt or two. We aren't going to try to see it all this time, just keeping it low key. Thanks for info.
    Bob
    Robert I will strongly recommend Vintage as a parking area. Close to ultralight field. Close to Tall Pines Cafe. You will be walking or bussing to the camp store. Tramming to light sport and fly market. Stop in the I-195 rows and say high.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    Robert I will strongly recommend Vintage as a parking area. Close to ultralight field. Close to Tall Pines Cafe. You will be walking or bussing to the camp store. Tramming to light sport and fly market. Stop in the I-195 rows and say high.
    Well that works for me, I was wondering where would be the best place to camp, so Vintage it is. I'll come looking for you. Thanks
    Bob

Well that works for me, I was wondering where would be the best place to camp, so Vintage it is. I'll come looking for you. Thanks
    Bob
    Don't forget to print out a VAC sign. You can get the artwork for that on the EAA website. What I do is I use the other side of the sign for the VFR sign which you will need on your departure. The link to the sign artwork is on the first page of the NOTAM.

Larry
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Kickin' up an older thread, but wanted some input.

We camped in VAC this past year, which was South 40. Holding up a VAC sign did nothing to get you close by. It just got you to South 40 instead of North 40.

To quote my buddy about camping with the airplane; "I am never doing that again.". So, we bought a 5th wheel.

What I gather is that unless you pay for a water/electric site on July 2nd (or whatever date it is in 2022), you won't get a water/electric. (True or False?)

So, how many days in advance to get a close in spot?

Thanks!
    Chris

Yes, you must pay per day from when you start the reservation and yes the water/electric site reservations can fill up quickly. Since it all depends on when the many campers go online and make their individual booking I doubt anyone can predict when the availabilty closes for next year?

If you've already read all the posts in this thread and similar other ones you probably have a 'fair' idea how many days in advance of opening you need to grab one up for that 5th wheel? Personally it's why I book MY little motel room over a year in advance.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Yes, you must pay per day from when you start the reservation and yes the water/electric site reservations can fill up quickly. Since it all depends on when the many campers go online and make their individual booking I doubt anyone can predict when the availabilty closes for next year?

If you've already read all the posts in this thread and similar other ones you probably have a 'fair' idea how many days in advance of opening you need to grab one up for that 5th wheel? Personally it's why I book MY little motel room over a year in advance.

Roger, Randy! Current thought is we don't want to pay thousands ($2-3,000) for water/electric. We will run suitcase generators in parallel.

Thinking maybe a late Thursday/mid-day Friday is a good guess at this point. Will get a spot, we can evaluate "how good" and adjust for 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by cbrown9064 View Post
    Roger, Randy! Current thought is we don't want to pay thousands ($2-3,000) for water/electric. We will run suitcase generators in parallel.

Thinking maybe a late Thursday/mid-day Friday is a good guess at this point. Will get a spot, we can evaluate "how good" and adjust for 2023!

I brought my camper out on July 2nd for a non-electric site. Got a great spot up in the woods, just behind the exhibition hangars. I flew back in on the Friday before the start (22nd). Campgrounds were packed. If you were arriving with a big camper on that day, you would have been in the South-East 40 of the campgrounds.