Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How early to arrive for good rv camping

Quote Originally Posted by cbrown9064 View Post
    Kickin' up an older thread, but wanted some input.

We camped in VAC this past year, which was South 40. Holding up a VAC sign did nothing to get you close by. It just got you to South 40 instead of North 40.

To quote my buddy about camping with the airplane; "I am never doing that again.". So, we bought a 5th wheel.

What I gather is that unless you pay for a water/electric site on July 2nd (or whatever date it is in 2022), you won't get a water/electric. (True or False?)

So, how many days in advance to get a close in spot?

Thanks!
    Chris
    This past year (2021) we arrived Saturday before the beginning of the show, and they said that the water/electric sold out on the prior Wednesday (5 days before the start of the show). Of course it will be different each year but based on that its probably not going to be necessary to purchase in early July to get a water electric site, a week in advance might make do.

Even if you get a site far away, rv camping is definitely better than the aircraft camping for the fact that you can bring a bicycle in an rv!

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb1 View Post

Even if you get a site far away, rv camping is definitely better than the aircraft camping for the fact that you can bring a bicycle in an rv!
    If you have a DC-3, you can bring a bike AND airplane camp. It's settled, you'll get a DC-3.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    If you have a DC-3, you can bring a bike AND airplane camp. It's settled, you'll get a DC-3.
    Ah yes, a DC3. I'll have to pick one of those up.

DC3 or Piper Cub, you still can't ride your bike on AV grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    DC3 or Piper Cub, you still can't ride your bike on AV grounds.
    Since the North 40 is separated from the show grounds, you can get away with a bike to get to the showers or over to museum, etc...

We camped in VAC this past year, which was South 40. Holding up a VAC sign did nothing to get you close by. It just got you to South 40 instead of North 40.

To quote my buddy about camping with the airplane; "I am never doing that again.". So, we bought a 5th wheel.

What I gather is that unless you pay for a water/electric site on July 2nd (or whatever date it is in 2022), you won't get a water/electric. (True or False?)

Thanks!
    Chris
    Probably good to explore both ways of camping, I much preferred the atmosphere of plane camping. Schoeller is an absolute zoo and it’s still a long ways to the showers. A fifth wheel might get you around that, but you’re still going to put up with about 2 million motorized contraptions of every type and volume going by from around 5 a.m. to midnights. Either way is the price we pay for the aviation experience.

Thanks!
    Chris
    South 40 is actually more GAC. "South Fondy" is just a very far away part of vintage. A VAC sign by the way gets you nothing except perhaps the full Gilligan unless your plane is actually old enough to qualify to park in Vintage.

I've been arriving on Tuesday before the show for years. Plenty of spaces at show center then.

Since I didn't make it this year because my walking radius now is only a mile and not 3.75 miles as I had hoped for, I'm looking for a service that uses M-114's for trams? 160 hp Chevrolet power is where I began with my own car in 1957. Yeah, the nose stuck out a bit. But it was eminently air liftable for SVN. (reference? Hunicutt "Bradley")

This was a time when there were goals to use "commercial engines" instead of the Continental and Lycoming radials and major inline air cooled engines. I also rode in a school bus with the high school band that used an Allison four-speed automatic. This was a Hydramatic with a very hard shift. Would it tear up the road at Osh-Kosh? The M-114 was not very big.

Like all of my posts this is not a "I'm telling you." this is a "You tell me." I have never used head phones. My father was an amateur radio guy on 2 meters and 10 meters and then 75 meter phone in his 49 Plymouth and then 1953 and 1957 Ford station wagons. Static? Heterodynes? But not controlled airfields. The MS_FS 2020 has tried to take me through Class B and Class C airspace as well as filing clearances for takeoff and landing. What you might notice if you have been involved with airborne use of fighting vehicles is the M-114 began this concept for the U.S. Army but it wasn't alone as in 1969 a Indonesian Fighter Pilot who was an exchcnge with the USAF showed me a Soviet propaganda film on Motorized Rifle Divisions and combined Arms use of tanks, fighting vehicles and helicopters including armed helicopters. That led me to the Pentagon one day to pickup computer printouts of all the loadouts for the Rapid Deployment forces and the marine Expeditionary battalions. I needed them to define the engines that ended up on the C-17 as it evolved from the YC-15 STOL and the C-141. Hark! is that the crackle of a 265 cubic inch Chevrolet? Can you get to the Viet Namese flower shop and avoid the smell of a Texas Gulf shrimp trawler?