Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How early to arrive for good rv camping

How early to arrive for good rv camping

We have been going to sun n fun in Lakeland, Fl for over 15 years. This year we plan to attend oshkosh for the first time. We were thinking of staying the whole length of the show (Monday to Sunday i think it is) but I have heard from a few sources that it may be necicary to arrive a few days before the beginning of the show to get a campsite in camp scholler. We definately want to be camping on site and not at some 3rd party campground and need to drive in and park our car each day. I thought I would ask some of the experienced airventure goers if they have any experiences that they could share that could possibly help us get an idea of a) how early should we arrive/secure a site in order to get a decent spot within the campground, and b) how early should we secure a site to be able to get a site anywhere camp scoller.
    What are your experiences?
    Electric and water would be nice if there happens to be something when we get there, but it seems as if they sell out weeks in advance and it would be expensive to reserve. Basic sites will be fine. But just want to be sure we will still be able to even get one of those.

I appreciate any inputs.

Thanks.

In 2019 I got there the Saturday before the show and it was packed with RV's trying to get in. That was also the year that the rain caused them to close Camp Scholler for several days. We tent camped and I got my credentials before they stopped giving them out, so we parked along the highway and hiked in to stake out some spots.

I have a feeling this year is going to be more crowded than usual. I would recommend getting there the Thursday or Friday before. Scholler is a giant campground though, so as long as you get there a few days in advance you will be able to find a spot, though it may be a distance out.

I am driving up that Saturday but will be camping in the North 40 with my friend's plane. I hope you have a fun trip. Oshkosh is amazing but I want to warn you.... once you start going you will want to come back every year!

The Sunday before Monday might be more fun to watch arrivals. Skip the last Sunday if you want instead.
    Normally spots should remain available near highway 41, I think. Just a longer walk.

We usually arrive Saturday before noon and that puts us 3/4 of the way to the highway. If you find a spot closer, ask yourself why it’s not taken. It’s probably a low area that’ll be ankle deep after the first downpour. You could try Thursday or Friday, but earlier than that and the law of diminishing returns kicks in. The best spots will always be taken by the rich folk who stake out their sites a month in advance. Forget about electric and water. If you don’t have it reserved now, you’re not getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    The best spots will always be taken by the rich folk who stake out their sites a month in advance.
    yes, it’s discouraging to arrive thursday and see huge estates marked out already

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Forget about electric and water. If you don’t have it reserved now, you’re not getting it.
    This is not true. RSVPs for the improved sites will not begin until July 2 this year. It'll be interesting to see how soon they sell out. They usually have availability up to about a week or so before the show. Just might sell out sooner this year, although they did add quite a few sites.

Thanks for all the good insight.
    Sounds like Saturday might be the time to arrive.
    I saw the airventure campground map but I did not see anything indicating the scale, maybe I missed it. But approximately how far would you say it is from the entrance of the convention area to the sites out by 41? 1 mile? More/less?
    Just interested in a general idea.
    Jeremy mentioned parking by someone with a plane, do they allow you to park an rv by a plane? We have a freind who may be flying in. At sun n fun they don't allow rvs by planes unless its warbirds. Additionally, at sun n fun they have additional areas to camp on the grounds outside of the main campground that aren't publicly advertised. (You'd have to ask about it) for example they have about 30 sites in the light plane camping area. Its typically where the volunteers camp but anyone with a regular camping pass can park there. When we arrive we may look into that possibility if they have anything like that there. That may be another good reason to arrive early so we can spend some time finding a good site without missing any of the show.
    Thanks for all the great inputs.

https://www.mappedometer.com/

Zoom in on the campground, you can poke around and see how far things tend to be.

No RVs or cars in the North 40, which is GA camping. You can camp next to your plane in a tent though, which is what we do. My friend does some reporting work for the local chapter so he gets press credentials with a parking pass, which we use to park the vehicle in one of the nearby lots, usually the Warbirds lot.

Scholler is a HUGE place. They have shuttles that pick people up and take them to the front gate as well. But bring good walking shoes. Lots of people on bicycles as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb1 View Post
    Jeremy mentioned parking by someone with a plane, do they allow you to park an rv by a plane?

But approximately how far would you say it is from the entrance of the convention area to the sites out by 41? 1 mile? More/less?
    As near as I can guess from the last time I went, 2018 and I was only 71 and pre knee replacement, I'd say about 35 miles !!! After that trip, I got a Titanium knee !
    Bob