Thread: De Relleumtdats (Stadtmueller) camping?

De Relleumtdats (Stadtmueller) camping?

Does anyone know if the Stadtmueller camping/parking is going to be operating (across from Ultra Light Red Barn) . There was an urban myth two years ago that EAA might have bought that property. I don't need it but a relative does. I called and left a message so we shall see. Thanks.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

I'd approach camping here with some... caution... unless you have camped there before and know the folks well.

In 2019, I had secured a RSVP there using their website, and had conversation with the family member running said website.

Everything seemed great until I showed up with trailer in tow the Friday night before OSH. I'll just say that the reception I got at their entrance booth was one of the most confounding customer experiences in my life. They had NO idea who I was, and when they asked where I got the RSVP from, and I told them their website, they said something along the lines of, "Oh, we told our son to shut that thing down. Sorry."

Awesome.

Then we just stood there... for several uncomfortable, silent seconds, when I asked, "So... do... do you have any sites left?"

After many more uncomfortable silent seconds, the person responded that yes, he thought they had some spots way in the back... and he thought they might be dry enough to get back there, but there would be no light. Then more silence.

Long story short, and about 15 minutes of the most pained conversation I can ever recall having, I elected to go with a known quantity and headed over to Scholler. It ultimately worked out, given the absolutely insane amount of rain we got over the next 48-56 hours. At least where I camped was dry before it started raining.

Anyway... I really wanted (still do, really) De Relleumtdats to work out. They've got a GREAT location, seemed like a nice enough crowd, but I suspect it works out best if you've been camping there a while.

Additional note: while doing a search just now to see if anything had changed wrt their RSVP situation, I came across an obit for Ed. RIP, Ed. Never met you, but I'm positive that you've had a measurable impact on a LOT of people's lives and had life long friends as a result of your hospitality and offering your farm for camping.

Ed's passing may or may not have impacted the camping situation there this year. If you find anything out, be sure to report back.

Very sad to hear about Ed, very sad. We shall see if I hear back from my phone message. The little food court they had there was a favorite of mine and I hope comes back. Yes, I have never camped there, but it is a nice place to park a car and walk across the street to the UL Red Barn gate. I have had friends camp there. It was a mom and pop operation, and now pop is gone.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

I've had friends who parked and camped there without issues. I think the stuff that was recently added to the EAA was not this property but across the diagnonal road where they're rumored to be moving some of the UL/Rotorcraft stuff to.

Talked with someone at this little place yesterday. Assume Mrs S. She said "yes", they would be open during AV.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195