Thread: A question about cylinder fogger

A question about cylinder fogger

I would like to know what if any of you do about an engine cylinder fogger oil for long term storage? I have used W80 mixed with marvel mystery oil to spray, but now it looks like the marvel has some zinc content? I know the old ww2 radial guys loved the stuff.

Lycoming issued a service letter about that. Basically, you change the oil using a preservative oil (Aircraft Spruce has it) mixed with regular oil and run the engine up to temp, then spray more of the same oil mixture into the cylinders through the spark plug holes.

You can also buy oil made for fogging engines at the auto parts store. How that compares in effectiveness to the Lycoming spec'd oil, I don't know. But even if you fog the top with the commercial product, putting the preservative in the crankcase oil is a good idea.

This is a large radial engine, its not going to be started. I'm not sure if some auto store fogging oil is going to be an aircraft engine approved product? But then something is better than nothing.

When I store automotive (iron) blocks I use automatic transmission fluid on the cylinders. Works great for me and ATF will burn off once the engine is started. I don't know how you can protect the valve seats on a radial with ATF so you might need to get creative with it. From my experience in automotive blocks the bearing and journal surfaces are well protected as long as the bearing caps are not tampered with - I mean like I have never seen a rusted or film of rust on even a junkyard motor's journals as long as the bearing caps remained on it.

I never liked the Lycoming/Continental long term storage procedures using desiccant plugs and sealing all the ports as it seems way to difficult - more for a military facility than a single owner/user. And they make it a requirement for just something like more than a couple of months of storage. But on the other hand if it is a irreplaceable engine that will be stored for like over ten years then the hard way may be the right way. IMHO I think too often an owner is spending to much effort on something only the next owner will appreciate and benefit from.

Good luck