Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we ready for a GPS failure ?

Are we ready for a GPS failure ?

Here is and interesting YouTube video about solar flares . Good history too ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HzaYMOPra4

Learned to navigate with a map and compass when I was a kid. Haven't found a real need for GPS yet. Maps and compasses don't need batteries and magnetic disruptions can be compensated for with a bit of knowledge and practice. Whizzwheels and a pencil are the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by skyranger View Post
    Here is and interesting YouTube video about solar flares . Good history too ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HzaYMOPra4
    I use GPS a lot, flying and driving, it's very convenient. There was no GPS when I got my PPL, i'm a little rusty but I keep a road atlas in my truck and a VFR chart in my flight bag. I also use check points and land marks when using the GPS.
    Bob

For me, my navigation is mostly IFR: I Follow Roads. :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    I use GPS a lot, flying and driving, it's very convenient. There was no GPS when I got my PPL, i'm a little rusty but I keep a road atlas in my truck and a VFR chart in my flight bag. I also use check points and land marks when using the GPS.
    Bob

DITTO, exactly.

Guess I am a dinosaur. I use sectional chart , compass, look out the window, and the old reliable ADF sometimes for cross check. Yes, there are still a lot of AM radio stations out there. I had a GPS steer me to wrong airport once.

The tablet navigation programs can mostly be used as hand-held sectional charts without a GPS signal. You just have to manually keep track of your location and move the displayed map.

I agree that "children of the magenta line" might be in trouble if the GPS signal is interrupted. And GPS based instrument approaches will be problematical.

Best of luck,

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    Guess I am a dinosaur. I use sectional chart , compass, look out the window, and the old reliable ADF sometimes for cross check. Yes, there are still a lot of AM radio stations out there. I had a GPS steer me to wrong airport once.

I'll use the VOR in my 150 on occasion, just for fun.

I don't think many of you went to the you tube link I put in my GPS statement . There is a lot more to GPS system than navigation !

Video was way short on technical information. The effects of solar flares have been long understood before the gps constellation was established. The video failed to note that the satellites are built with radiation-hardened components and shielding, and have redundancy in key subsystems. Error detection and correction routines guard against charged particles randomly “flipping” bits of computer memory.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun