Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Ideas - Cutting Lexan Disks

Quote Originally Posted by CraigCantwell View Post
    Ha! Might be worth it. Cost isn't that bad, especially the ones on Amazon.

I thought it was too big (my glass specs at about 2.9"), but it made me think about my design. I'd completely forgotten the instrument hole is 3 1/8"; I need to enlarge my design slightly, at which point an even 3" diameter glass disk would probably be right.

I need to rework the design anyway, some instruments are installed from the pilot side of the panel, and my outline is wrong for that.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 05-10-2021 at 09:56 AM.

Remember that a 3" holesaw will cut a disk about 2.875" diameter, allowing for a 1/16" kerf, there's your 2.9".

There are also 3-blade adjustable holesaws that might work better without a pilot than a 1- or 2-blade flycutter. I have an old Craftsman one but they're still made today by other companies.

The pre-cut disks look reasonably priced, but since you're rolling your own bezels via 3d print, why not design the bezel to take a square lens? Or find a community college nearby with a tech lab, or a 'maker space', and use their LASER to cut your own discs?

1/16" Lexan can be cut easily with sheet metal snips if you want it quickly by hand.

Thanks much for the advice. If I were building a 4" instrument, I'd probably use a router. But I bought the Amazon 3" disks, because if I build any more instruments, most are probably going to be three inches.

A quick slap-together of the final product. It's not actually bolted to this old Warwick Bantam instrument panel, so it's not lined up.
    Name:  airspeed3.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  77.5 KB
    Instrument face is just printed on plain paper with a standard ink-jet. I have a small sublimation printer that'll put some gloss on it; may give it a shot.

Learned quite a bit on this one, will come in useful if I end up making any more.

Ron Wanttaja

Didn't know the Bantam was that fast....

If you have access to a lathe, make 2 wood templates to actual size. Clamp oversize Lexan between wood templates in headstock and tailstock and turn lexan to size.

Bob
    WB8NQW

Didn't know the Bantam was that fast....
    Of course! "Bantam" is an anagram for "Batman", you know.... :-)

Actually, my model was a P-51 airspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Willman View Post
    If you have access to a lathe, make 2 wood templates to actual size. Clamp oversize Lexan between wood templates in headstock and tailstock and turn lexan to size.
    That's an interesting idea. I guess one could use carpet tape to really tie down the Lexan. I may give it a try, if only as an excuse to run my lathe.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    I'm trying to come up with a way to easily cut out disks of Lexan to a given diameter.

Any other ideas?
    Stack them in a lathe between centers and turn them. I have done this before and it works very well, the OD can be turned to +/- .005" without too much effort.