Thread: Flying to A/V

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Flying to A/V

My plan; Fly from South Carolina to Oshkosh and into Airventure. I feel comfortable making the almost 1000 mi. trip alone in my Cessna 150, and as I explained to my wife, it's just a bunch of short cross country trips ! I may follow a couple of friends to the 150/152 flyin in Iowa first and then pick up my 2nd and 3rd eyes over in Watertown, Wi. or some other uncontroled field. My 2nd and 3rd eyes consist of a good friend who's a CFI, instrument and all that good stuff. I have never flown into Airventure before so I know I'm going to need some help, and this is what I think may be the case. I think, since A/V wasn't held last year, there will be a bumper crop of people flying in this year and it may be busier than ever and one eye just ain't gonna cut it !!! I would like to have opinions from the group, if y'all don't mind, and I know you can't count on opinions, but at least I can take them under consideration and plan accordingly. Any comments, recomendations and smart remarks are all welcome.
    Bob

Hey Bob, just my two cents....
    Watch the online videos of the VFR approaches. Yes there have been some changes but it gives you good views of the various landmarks and what to,expect. Know what they look like, basically have the approach committed to memory to fly heads up.

Before you head out, take your 150 and get some time flying at a congested airfield preferably one with a tower. Brush up on flying a tight pattern and work on your “radio ear”. Also might want to brush up on crosswind landings. Winds tend to be much stiffer in the Midwest than down in the Piedmont.

An extra set of eyes, preferably a pilot, is money in the bank. Enjoy the trip!
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Might want to get in on Friday. Light traffic.

My advice:
    1. Read, re-read, and thoroughly understand the NOTAM.
    2. Take the advice above and watch the YouTube arrival videos.
    3. Practice spot landings, maintaining airspeed (90 kts), heading, and altitude (1000ft AGL)—IOW basic airmanship.
    4. If arrival holding is in progress, think about landing near-by and waiting until traffic conditions improve.
    5. Resist the urge to get into OSH at all costs(get-there-itis). The show will still be there if you have to take some extra time to arrive. This applies Enroute too— better to spend the night someplace then to push ahead when prudence would dictate otherwise.
    6. Have fun!
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 05-04-2021 at 05:13 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Great advice for sure guys, I have been watching the arrival videos on youtube and I have the, "New Notam" downloaded. I learned a long time ago, traveling for work, many times across the country, not to get in a hurry, I get there when I get there. Plus, I'm retired, no rush on my part. My philosophy is, and has been for years, Life in the slow lane! Looking forward to more suggestions.
    Bob

Remember the slow lane moves along at 90 kts at 1800 msl. Still hoping for a "low 'n slow" arrival procedure someday.
    Don't forget to register for the upcoming EAA vid on June 23. It covers the arrival changes for 2021.