Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flying to A/V

The right turn to 27 is a continuous decent to land from 500'. IFR traffic is on 5 mile final over the lake. Several pilots tend to overshoot and have to turn tighter to get lined up. Saw a textbook landing stall a few years back. Just keep your nose down, speed above stall, and fly to center line. We all strive to hit the dot, most do not. You will be instructed to turn into the grass as soon as possible. It is very nice and not like your normal airport. Do not try for a taxiway unless directed to do so. There are others behind you that depend on this. (assuming it is not another sloshkosh) Taxi via ground directions with you sign posted. Get ready for the most fun you will have. And definitely get the shirt.
    ROCK YOUR WINGS!

Get ready for the most fun you will have. And definitely get the shirt.
    ROCK YOUR WINGS!

First time flying in but not our first time at A/V, and I have watched and listened in on arrivals while at A/V, and hours of arrivals and departures on Youtube. Some are very intense, my co-pilot and friend is a CFI and even when he's not instructing me, he instructing me. lol. We have been flying together for years and make a good team. Thanks for input.
    Bob

I was fortunate that the first time I flew into FLD but while I was at the show, Bertorelli got me a tour of both the tower and Fisk so I got to see the ops from the ATC end. Next year, I flew in on the arrival.

Last time I posted on this I recommended flying the approach on a desktop flight simulator for practice. PilotEdge, working with NATCA, announced that they will have an updated system to what they offered for SimVenture last year. You will be able to fly the approach, with live, with other participating aircraft, and talking to (or listening to) the same controllers as will work OSH and the arrivals during AirVenture. Will work with MS FS X, MSFS 2020, and X-Plane. They say that they will use the new NOTAM, including the new entry/reporting points. It will be available July 14, 16, 17, and 18
    https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/simventure
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Well, a lot has changed since I started this thread, different airplane, different plan for the trip and so on. The last glitch is, I'm sick, my wife came down with a cold a week ago and eventhough we were careful, now I've got it. Our last A/V plan was to leave S.C. Sunday morning, the 25th, around 6 or 6:30 am in a friends 172 and he decided to go with us. Now that I'm sick, I'm not going to expose them to whatever I've got, sore throat, stuffy nose, coughing, etc. Could be just a summer cold, or the flu, I don't know but it's not like when I had Covid back in January, but I'll make an appoiment with my Dr. for Monday, she's at the hospital of Fridays so I can't see her today. If by some miracle this passes, and I don't see that happening, Saturday is my go or no go drop dead date, since Sunday morning is wheels up. I'll give my buddy his wrist band and I guess I'll save mine as a souvenir, a $122.00 souvenir. The best laid plans ! Oh well !
    Bob

I’m at the show. You can always do what one guy did. Get lost “Just crossed highway 41, heading 270 east of the field” anyhow, the controller fond him by having him fly directly over the field. Was heading 90. Controller had him turn left to move out then got him onto base and finally landed. Obviously had never seen the NOTAM. It was a tail dragger RV and backfired like crazy when he pulled the power. Everyone was watching him.

Lesson learned, do what you want! /s

It's official, my cold has put the Kibosh on our A/V trip this year, guess I'll have to get my hat and tee shirt on line. Well, I do have a couple of unused tickets and wrist bands as souvenirs, dang, I could buy several tee shirts and hats for that price !
    Bob