Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOTAM'S UP, Who came up with this drivel?

NOTAM'S UP, Who came up with this drivel?

https://www.eaa.org/-/media/Files/Ai...021-NOTAM.ashx

They added "transitions" to get to Ripon which I predict are going to be disasters.

To make matters worse, the NOTAM information is inconsistent. Take, for example the new Endeavor Bridge transition. The map (admittedly marked NOT FOR NAVIGATION), the text, and the actual waypoint are several miles displaced from each other.

The map shows the start point at the intersection of County Road D and I-35. The text says the transition starts at the town of Endeavor about two miles south of there. The actual VPENV way point sits on the County Road D bridge crossing Buffalo Lake just south of the town of Packwaukee. Why it's labled Endeavor Bridge as it's nowhere near Endeavor nor does can you even get there by crossing that bridge, is beyond me. It doesn't seem to be a local thing, when they call it anything at all, they tend to call it the "causeway bridge" or the "Highway D" bridge.
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 04-24-2021 at 07:11 AM.

Yep. 3-4 merge points and a (potentially) longer 90 knot follow-the leader line. Plus a learning curve and the possibility of the merge point moving while you're inbound.

What was the objective? I can't imagine what this solution fixed.

Is the ATIS being rebroadcast from a station further southwest so we can actually get it in clear before we get close to the transitions?

The real problem will be all the people who just do what they've always done unfortunately.

The additional transitions are only for times when the field is saturated. For normal conditions, the regular arrival is still used.

But when the new transitions do go into effect - gonna be a doozy.

This is all to eliminate the risk inherent in the crowded holds over the lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post

This is all to eliminate the risk inherent in the crowded holds over the lakes.
    Well that's a new take on social distancing!
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

My interpretation of the new procedures is that each of the points will be used, in increasing distance from KOSH, as the level of traffic increases. I don't think they want aircraft to pick one of the points and try to merge into an existing line of traffic. The NOTAM does a very poor job explaining specifically how the new points will be used, but that's my take. If I'm wrong, well, like I said, it ain't clear!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    My interpretation of the new procedures is that each of the points will be used, in increasing distance from KOSH, as the level of traffic increases. I don't think they want aircraft to pick one of the points and try to merge into an existing line of traffic. The NOTAM does a very poor job explaining specifically how the new points will be used, but that's my take. If I'm wrong, well, like I said, it ain't clear!
    Agree it’s not clear at all, but my understanding after reading through the NOTAM a few times is the transition point in use will be included in the arrival ATIS.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Agree it’s not clear at all, but my understanding after reading through the NOTAM a few times is the transition point in use will be included in the arrival ATIS.
    Yes. But the issue with the arrival ATIS has always been that the transmitter isn't strong enough to push the signal more than 20 or so miles. So it is very possible that you fly a lot of extra miles trying to determine the transition point in use at the moment.

And lord help the people who have to fly in trail for 50 miles from the most distant transition point. The accordion effect is very real, whether in ground or airborne traffic. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Yes. But the issue with the arrival ATIS has always been that the transmitter isn't strong enough to push the signal more than 20 or so miles. So it is very possible that you fly a lot of extra miles trying to determine the transition point in use at the moment.

And lord help the people who have to fly in trail for 50 miles from the most distant transition point. The accordion effect is very real, whether in ground or airborne traffic. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M
    I’m not disagreeing with you or trying to justify this thing, just trying to interpret it. As you know, it’s crap like this that has driven me to opt for the IFR arrival to avoid all of the nonsense.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    I’m not disagreeing with you or trying to justify this thing, just trying to interpret it. As you know, it’s crap like this that has driven me to opt for the IFR arrival to avoid all of the nonsense.
    And I wasn't either. Just building on what you wrote.

That's what I do. I'm a builder. ;-)