Thread: Sun and Fun

Sun and Fun

I'm surprised that no reports on the show down south have been published. Is it a lack of interest, attendance or lack of money?

Curiously, there's more on the AOPA site (and I'm not a member, so limited access) than there is on the EAA site, where Airventure seems to be the only thing mentioned, except something about a Sun'N'Fun ticket.

Larry N.

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    Curiously, there's more on the AOPA site (and I'm not a member, so limited access) than there is on the EAA site, where Airventure seems to be the only thing mentioned, except something about a Sun'N'Fun ticket.
    Sadly, the experimental world isn't what it once was with new designs coming out every year and excitement around all of 'em. I would argue that DarkAero is the only "exciting" new project that seems to have legs, and it is basically a revisit of early Lancairs or Glasairs. There's not much new under the sun to generate excitement. Therefore the lack of information. SnF this year seems to have been a plain 'ol fly-in with very little remarkable to talk or write about.

My take after spending all day today and a few days there earlier in the week (we volunteer as we live close by) is the show was a success. The vender and warbirds counts were down but that was to be expected. However the crowds were decent and overall it was good IMO (nothing scientific as I don’t have access to any numbers). Osh should be even better.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I did notice that there were more overall airplanes (especially early in the week) than in the recent past. That’s a good sign. It was a great show and I’m ready for OSH21!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Sun-n-Fun ended up being a huge success! As a volunteer, we just got the email below from Sun-n-Fun President John Leenhouts:

“ACE/SUN ‘n FUN Volunteer Team,
    I cannot thank each of you enough for the incredible herculean effort you put forth as a truly awesome team! Calm in a sea of chaos, professional under pressure, you performed flawlessly and ensured that not only did our guests leave the same way they got here, but had an extremely enjoyable experience. The end result is that SNF21 is now in the record books as the most successful in SUN ‘n FUN’s 47 year history! Though the total tallies are not completely in, and will not be for several weeks, the preliminary assessments show that we exceeded our best year of 2019 by over $300,000 in direct sales! Additionally we had more aircraft and campers on our field and for longer periods than we have seen in more than two decades. Your preparation for overflow camping and parking saved the day and accommodated the largest single day (Saturday) attendance on record. Most importantly, all of this was executed in a extremely well planned out safe environment.

Also, you accelerated the fundraising effort for Project SkyLab and substantially closed the gap to attain our capital campaign goal. Our Birthday Bash on Thursday evening set a new record for direct donations to include $150K for a NOAA “Science on a Sphere”, a powerful STEM learning asset!

Never have we done so much with so few, a true testament to your tenacity in the face of adversity and the value of your diligent detailed prior planning! Please take great pride in your noble accomplishment, I am honored to serve alongside each and every one of you!”
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Couple videos I’ve made from the event.

Last edited by MilitaryAttractions; 04-20-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F4U and P51

EAA Warbirds Volunteer

Unfortunately, the only part of the new Patriot aircraft down at Sun N Fun was the cowl - we just weren't at the stage where we wanted to display the aircraft in progress.

(Patriot Recruit Number One is currently in the EAA museum and will be given away at Oshkosh)

Unless one stopped by the Lakeland Aeroclub, where the kids built the engine and assembled the airframe for the Patriot Recruit they're building, that is.

Yes, I'm a bit biased, as I work for C&D Aviation and Patriot Aircraft, but it really is something special. The improvements to design and features are simple (well, let's say straight forward) but meaningful for the pilot, passenger, and for maintenance.

Due to some other obligations, I wasn't able to go to Sun N Fun, but by all accounts it was a huge success.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.