Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weather at Airventure

Weather at Airventure

I'm thinking of going to Airventure for the first time. If I go, I'll be driving the RV up from California and camping at Camp Scholler. I'm trying to get a handle on what the weather is going to be like. Is it generally hot? Humid? Will leaving the windows of the RV open be enough to keep it cool? What about if I bring our dog? I don't want to run a generator all day for an air conditioner, but I don't mind if I just need to run it for a little bit to bring the temp down.

I tried searching the forums for weather, but as I'm sure you are aware most discussions of weather here have to do with flying.

Thanks
    Cyrus

Cyrus, in many years going there, weather went from frost to rain down pours where my campsite had lake front property next morning, to temps to 100 and humidity almost unbearable. During the show, you will more that likely get caught in sever T storms, or hear occassional tornado alert. But then, that is all part of the adventure, why I keep going back.

Daily high temperatures are around 81°F, rarely falling below 71°F or exceeding 89°F. The highest daily average high temperature is 81°F on July 19.
    Daily low temperatures increase by 2°F, from 61°F to 63°F, rarely falling below 53°F or exceeding 71°F. The highest daily average low temperature is 63°F on July 27.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

In 30 years of attendance, the weather has been mostly 70%? Moderate and the other 30% has gone from the 30’s to the upper 90’s. I’ve been in hellacious t-storms and have been tornado warned.

So I plan for a wide variety of conditions.

I always take a long sleeve shirt and a pair of long pants, generally some type of jacket. Always keep a rain poncho with you, I usually keep a couple of the disposable ones with me at all times. Comfortable shoes, (lots of walking), a hat, sun screen and water bottles. I generally carry a mesh back pack to keep stuff in, but that's just the way I roll, I was a Boy Scout for many years, "Be Prepared", but don't burden yourself, it's supposed to be fun. In 2018 I brought a camper and a generator but never used it, I did use the long pants and shirt though. You can also get Electric and Water sites, but they cost more and sell out early, check the website.
    Bob

Certainly got to be weather savvy. EAA is very good about keeping folks informed about potential severe weather. If weather is a possibility, you better assume you’re not going to make it back in time to batten down your site. Some of the squall lines move pretty darn fast and get pretty vicious. There are also days when it can get hot and humid. Dress for the weather and carry sun screen, a poncho, hat, sunglasses, aspirin for your sore and tired feet, and whatever you think will get you thru the day. I always have an extra pair of socks, bandaids for the inevitable blister and wear an evaporating cooling scarf. Guess we all need to add masks to the list too.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime

"What kind of weather can I expect at Oshkosh?"

Yes.

Seriously. The answer is just "yes." Short of actual snow or hurricanes, you should be prepped for mostly good summer weather (with the associated humidity and mosquitos), occasional bits of cool weather (I've definitely been downright chilly there)... but most of all you should be prepared for some nasty summer storms if you are camping.

If you intend to tent camp, and you are not adequately prepared, you (and all your stuff) WILL get soaked. If you do not adequately tie your stuff down, it will get blown across all of Camp Scholler.

It's a GREAT time as long as you come prepared for the eventuality of significant amounts of rain and wind. If you aren't prepped for that, a great time turns soggy and kinda miserable pretty quickly.

Good point for the new comers. Fortunately one can usually see the weather coming from a fair distance. Everyone typically heads for hard shelters - the exhibit buildings and the like, especially if there is bad lightning or winds to wait it out. With social distancing in play somebody is literally going to be left out in the rain.

When it rains there are areas of AV that turn into mud bogs pretty quickly. The grounds are mostly clay and generally don’t drain well. So chose your campsite carefully. Foot and vehicular traffic can make for localized messes. The facilities guys try their best to keep up especially if the rains are really heavy. Vehicle and aircraft parking takes real hits if the grounds get too saturated.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime

I'm in the middle of moving back into my office after it was just repainted, so I have not gotten my NAS back up and running, but when I do, I'll post some pics of Mudkosh 2019. I spent a good portion of the weekend prior to Oshkosh, and honestly, many of the evenings the rest of the week, yanking people out of the mud with my truck. It was comPLETELY covered in mud. I'm forever thankful that I rented a camper for 2019, because my site was under at least 1.5 of water from Saturday through much of Wednesday. I didn't even bother with shoes. It was a hilarious mess!

Edited to add: I spent $20 in quarters at the coin-op carwash north of the airport. The amount of mud I sprayed off just made me laugh. I left quite a mess in that wash bay.

Tonight's forecast: Dark with increasing light toward morning. That's the one thing you can bank on. Otherwise you can expect sun, rain, wind, heat, humidity, and cooler evenings, sometimes all in one day.
    Ref the rain at KOSH: It doesn't just sprinkle lightly either; it rains buckets, almost like south Florida. You'll look like you fell in the lake if you venture outside.