Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weather at Airventure

Quote Originally Posted by dclaxon View Post
    I have believed for a long time that it's a Wisconsin state law that it has to rain at least once during the convention.
    It is a law of nature. I flew to OSH at the end of July this year, as a fueling stop between Traverse City and Peoria. I asked the Basler guys about what it was like without AV this year. I was told that they had their Wednesday Thunderstorm, just like always.

Regarding dogs. I have to agree about leaving the dog in the trailer. Not a good idea. I also understand that you are on a long trip and want to have the dog with you. There are many kennels/dog boarding facilities in the OSH area. I strongly recommend that you look into boarding them for the time you are at AirVenture. Your dog will appreciate it and you will have a better time not worrying about your pet.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    It is a law of nature. I flew to OSH at the end of July this year, as a fueling stop between Traverse City and Peoria. I asked the Basler guys about what it was like without AV this year. I was told that they had their Wednesday Thunderstorm, just like always.

Regarding dogs. I have to agree about leaving the dog in the trailer. Not a good idea. I also understand that you are on a long trip and want to have the dog with you. There are many kennels/dog boarding facilities in the OSH area. I strongly recommend that you look into boarding them for the time you are at AirVenture. Your dog will appreciate it and you will have a better time not worrying about your pet.
    A slightly different viewpoint. We are guardians of a Boston mix and a Doxie; both 15 yrs old. We've taken them with us through all types of trips, including staying in our motorhome in Sleepy Hollow. I fully appreciate the issues about the noise, but we feel better staying in Sleepy Hollow, since it's a bit more removed from the flightline. The Boston mix has been our constant companion since he was 4 wks of age. He cannot stay under the care of someone else due to separation anxiety issues. We used to board him at a nice person's house just down the street from us. She's a professional groomer / boarder and is loved by guardians as well as the canines. But for the last 5 years or so, Mo (the Boston) just sits and shakes the entire time we're gone now, and thats with industrial strength anxiety meds. Stares out the window and doesn't eat. It's heartbreaking. We have no idea what caused this transformation. They cannot stay with our kids as one is an ATC controller with weird shifts and stairs (which have messed up the Doxie's back in years past.) #2 son has a daughter who lives in a figurative bubble and who is allergic to dogs and many other common foods. Hmm..... that sounded kinda like, "Let's eat Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat, Grandma!"

I would not stay in Scholler because of a lack of electrical power for the a/c. We keep the TV on and the a/c running. We have the Waggle temperature monitor with alert functions and as-desired monitoring. We stop in to walk and tend to them during the day. They are thrilled to be there with us and relax as if they're in the living room at home.

Some folks would say they're too much trouble; for us they're just part of our daily routine and make it work.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CyrusL View Post
    Out of curiosity, what are the evenings and nights like? Does it usually cool down?
    The temperature is the least of your concern as the sun goes down. Mosquitos are the national bird of Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by mc20 View Post
    The temperature is the least of your concern as the sun goes down. Mosquitos are the national bird of Wisconsin.
    And yet ..... we keep returning every year! I'll be driving from CA, bringing my Dog this year. I teach fabric covering for Stewarts Systems so I camp near the Ripple exit so I can zip over where I teach in the ultralight area. My wife won't be on the grounds the all day, so she will be in and out of the motorhome with our dog; AC during the day when the doggie is on her own. This will be our second Osh with a dog; worked fine the first time.
    Marty57

Will it rain... YES, Will it be dry... YES, Will it be hot... YES, Will it be cold... YES. I believe the only weather not seen at OSH during Airventure is snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnancoz View Post
    I believe the only weather not seen at OSH during Airventure is snow.
    Don't say that out loud!

Quote Originally Posted by mc20 View Post
    That said, I have noticed over the past half dozen years or so that the mosquitos are much less of a problem than they were, say 10 years ago. I think that there must be some very effective mosquito abatement procedures in place at Oshkosh.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com