Thread: Assembly - Unusually large distances when mating parts

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Assembly - Unusually large distances when mating parts

Good afternoon.

I created some complex parts, then decided to crate an assembly of those parts. I found that when using the distance mate, most of the time the distance was VERY large. To eliminate complexities in my parts and assembly, I decided to simplify everything.

I drew one part (2D) that is nothing but a 2"x2" square. I then created an assembly and placed 2 2x2 squares into my assembly. When I mate the edge of one 2x2 square to the other side of the 2x2 square and 0.5" distance creates a spacing that even at maximum zoom you can not see. If I, however, set it to 8" distance, then the distance seems to be what I am looking for, however, that distance is a small fraction of the overall square even, which is only 2"x2".

Originally I thought maybe my part was designed using a wrong scale, I double checked. Even in my Assembly, I added some Dimension markers and those markers verify that my squares are 2"x2"

Any thoughts? I've attached a screen shot of my example. Notice the Dimensions I added for the "Square Parts" and then the two highlighted lines, and the 8.00in in the "Distance" mate.

Name:  SolidWorks-2-square-assembly.jpg
Views: 3940
Size:  68.7 KB

Thank you,

Jeremy
    Last edited by jcowgar; 04-05-2021 at 12:57 PM.