Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aeronca 7AC STCs

Aeronca 7AC STCs

Does anyone have familiarity with the Wagner STC SA3-372 for installation of the Lyc. O-235 and TCM O-200 ? I have heard that the STC does NOT require the installation of the large vertical fin. Is this so ? I also see that Bill Panake's recent STCs are also contain this small fin provision. I do not have the details of Bill's STCs, but would like to know if his STCs include an O-200.

Also has anybody ever heard of anyone installing a Citabria vertical tail and rudder onto a 7AC ?

I'm not familiar with the STC's from Buzz.
    You may get a much quicker and better response from the National Aeronca Assoc. Facebook page. The web site still exists, but it's nearly a ghost town and unfortunately everyone has gone over to the FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/105851332789460/

Buzz Wagner's STC SA3-372 does NOT require the dorsal fin installation, but recommends it. His son Cole is still selling them and can be reached at 605-532-1305
    Robert Szego
    bellanca-championclub.com
    aeronca.org

Well......... that phone number is no longer in service.

Can't help you with the phone number but I used the STC to install a 0200 in my L16 (7BCM). It's pretty "straight forward" but leaves a lot to your imagination. Basically the STC was originally written to install the 0235 in the Champ which is pretty detailed. Almost seems like the 0200 installation was written as an afterthought as some items are not covered well. I had a devil of a time getting the air cleaner to exit the nose bowl in the original spot. Was it worth it? Absolutely and I think the Lycoming installation would be well worth the effort too depending on what you're looking for and how much work you want to do. I don't know if this is any help but the Wagners lived in Clark, South Dakota. Buzz passed away several years ago but to my knowledge Cole is still around and the large tail is not part of the STC but 'recommended' for spin recovery (for what ever that's worth).
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

As I understand it, if you do NOT modify the dorsal fin, you cannot increase the gross weight above the original 1220 lbs.

Read the STC very carefully.

Well....quoting from STC SA3-372 "Maximum weight 1300 pounds and maybe increased to 1350 when long stroke oleo landing gear is installed and placarded "intentional spinning prohibited when baggage carried" is installed on instrument panel". Long stroke landing gear is the commonly called "No bounce" type.

Further on it states "Clamp on dorsal fin (specification 618) is recommended but not required under the STC".

I happen to have both the no bounce gear and large dorsal fin but I can't see anywhere in the STC about it maintaining 1220# if the fin is not changed. Can you point me to the spot??

I stand corrected on that STC. I know there is one engine upgrade STC out there that requires the dorsal fin upgrade with the engine upgrade and a gross weight upgrade.

BTW, I'm curious how many companies did engine STC's for the 7AC? I know it is more than one.

Not a problem. I'm not an expert by any means but it seems to me that the Champion upgrade did require the large dorsal fine upgrade. Bill Pancake also has a recent approval for a upgrade (not sure of the details) and Charlie Lasher had one for a number of years. I think his nephew may still own it. I think those are all upgrades from the A65 to the C85. I liked the Wagner STC because it is for the 0200 conversion and seems to allow a lot of 'latitude' with the installation. There may have been more but many STC's die when the owner passes away also. I have several approved 337's on my L16/0200 with a electrical starting system, B & C generating system (not installed yet) and pop rivets to attach the fabric.

In these last few years ........... has anybody been able to locate a source for the Wagner STC SA3-372 ?????