Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sport pilot phase 1 for LSA compliant E-AB

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    To be honest I got sidetracked by your comment about your student pilot friend who flew off a Phase I in a Sonerai but personally I would say a Sport Pilot flying off a Phase I would be solely dependent on his experience and skill level. For example, if he was say 100-150 hr SP and had no spin training I would say not only no but hell no.
    But this would also apply to ANYONE flight testing ANY new aircraft of ANY kind!
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

Over a 10-year period (2009-2018) inflight loss of control – mainly stalls – accounted for the largest number of GA fatal accidents. After engine failures what is the second largest cause of accidents in the EAB world - loss of control. There is nothing magic about accumulating 100 or 200 hours post check ride that prepares one for testing an aircraft. After spending 33 years in the flight test business I witnessed even the most experienced test pilots get tripped up when things didn’t go as planned. The difference is they are trained to recognize and recover where the amateur pilot is not. The pilot assist program is great especially in the RV, Zenith and Sonex world. I would guess it’s effectiveness falls off pretty quickly for other designs.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Trying not to derail!

1) Student pilots aren't mentioned in the first post, and I think we all agree that it's kinda dumb for a student to perform test flights on a new aircraft. A student pilot doesn't know what right looks like, let alone bad.
    2) Sounds like the DAR has a bias against Sport Pilots, or is ignorant of what being a Sport Pilot entails. There is no specification listed of the type of ticket one has, so long as it is appropriate for the aircraft.

3) I'm a Sport Pilot and flew my aircraft through it's test phase. While I had spin training, I had less than 100 hours (though almost all of it was in a Champ), which I think was just fine for the light little biplane I built. Since it's single seat, there was no transition training.

Expanding on #2, it's pretty common. For my flight review, I always select a new CFI to get an unbiased opinion and try something new. The last time was in a C152 (never piloted one before that day) in controlled airspace (which I had never flow in).

The instructor was pretty good and didn't bat an eye on my Sport Pilot ticket; we just spent a few more minutes on the talking about the aircraft beyond the standard ground stuff. He said my stick and rudder skills were better than average, which they should be.

When one of his young CFI's came in while we were settling the bill, it was remarked on that I'm a Sport Pilot. The guy literally looked down his nose under his aviator's sunglasses and said "A Sport Pilot? And how did that go?"

"Well, he could teach you a thing or two about slow flight," was the response.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Trying not to derail!

2) Sounds like the DAR has a bias against Sport Pilots, or is ignorant of what being a Sport Pilot entails. There is no specification listed of the type of ticket one has, so long as it is appropriate for the aircraft.
    Not sure where I said anything against Sport Pilots. If I did, I apologize. I agree 100% with the Sport Pilot program. My comment was to agree that the competence of the test pilot is much more important than the "type" of pilot.

I agree, also, with your choosing a different instructor for each flight review. I do the same. Different instructors concentrate on different things. Learning continues forever. When we stop learning, the end is near!
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

No offense intended. I was referring to the DAR in the original post, who said only PPL holders could do test flights.

Apologies!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Sorry. I misunderstood your comment.