Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to transport auto-gas to airport?

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    "Transferring liquids by means of air pressure on the container or portable tanks is prohibited. This type of transfer may result in an overpressure that could exceed what the container or tank is designed to withstand. In addition, a flammable atmosphere could be created within the container or tank. This atmosphere would be particularly sensitive to ignition because of the increased pressure. Please remember that this is a general overview of flammable and combustible liquids. For more information, refer to 29 CFR 1910.106 as well as NFPA 30 Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code."

http://www.workplacegroup.net/articl...le-liquids.htm

This is an OK site but the average homebuilder/joe doesn't know about, or in some cases care about "legalities". The main point I was trying to point out is the drum isn't designed for pressure. What I'm actually trying to get across is PSI, the ends will most likely blow out before the side will rupture.

Marshall Alexander

On OSHA regs - they don't apply to hangars, unless they are part and parcel to an active business (like the mechanic's hangar, where it is a place of business).

Rental properties, such as hangars at an airfield, aren't covered by OSHA rules.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Certainly true, but keep in mind that hangar leases may have their own restriction (can't store gas in the hangar) and that city fire codes sometimes bring in another factor (can't dispense gas in an enclosed structure like a hangar).

We regularly transport 55 gallon drums of race fuel and use this pump to dispense it at the track:
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_31616_31616

You can transport a sealed 55 gallon drum in an enclosed trailer or open trailer. Make sure the drum is sealed except for the one or two openings for filling/dispensing. My plane only holds 27 gallons so a smaller 30 gallon drum would be more than enough.
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Certainly true, but keep in mind that hangar leases may have their own restriction (can't store gas in the hangar) and that city fire codes sometimes bring in another factor (can't dispense gas in an enclosed structure like a hangar).
    Yep. I just didn't want anyone to think that it was illegal to use pressurized dispensing systems based on an OSHA rule; however, nobody ever said there is a one to one corrolation between legal and smart.

I'll probably throw some five gallon jugs of gas in the back of the truck and fill up my plane from them when I go out to the field.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Haven't seen any reply yet w/r/t taxes. One club I flew with had quite a large fuel storage trailer. Looked like maybe it was military surplus or something. Anyway, it was big enough to have a local gas distributor stop by with their truck to fill it. The club would send in whatever paperwork the state required to be refunded the tax, since the fuel was not used on the road. This was in Florida in the 1980's. So I have no idea what's possible now, but tax refunds at least used to be possible. Might be more of a hassle than it's worth for many 15-20 gallon fill ups, unless you can group receipts over time and apply all at once...
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

I have been using 89-91 octane fuel for years. I just get good 5 gallon cans that don't leak and transport them in the trunk. It helps that the gas station is a couple blocks from the airport. I made a rolling platform that gets me up high on the wing so fueling is easy.

I got four of the red plastic 5 gallon gas containers from Wal*Mart. It has worked just fine for me. Inexpensive and easy to handle. Fortunately I have a low wing plane that is very easy to refuel.

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    This is an OK site but the average homebuilder/joe doesn't know about, or in some cases care about "legalities". The main point I was trying to point out is the drum isn't designed for pressure. What I'm actually trying to get across is PSI, the ends will most likely blow out before the side will rupture.

Marshall Alexander
    I accept your point about a container not designed to contain pressure. and your point about the average homebuilder/joe not caring about legalities - heck, just check other threads to prove that point. but go back and read that quoted article. "a flammable atmosphere could be created within the container or tank. This atmosphere would be particularly sensitive to ignition because of the increased pressure." get it? when the tank is full of very rich fuel vapor, it's not so easy to ignite. when air is pumped in, at some point the perfect explosive mixture may be reached. probably will be reached. i'm not concerned about mr avg-joe breaking OSHA codes, or even the dastardly airport rules. i'm concerned about the dumb sob blowing himself and his airplane and maybe his hangar up and breaking somebody else's stuff - like mine. most safety rules are written in blood. read them to avoid being a copycat. make NEW mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    I accept your point about a container not designed to contain pressure. and your point about the average homebuilder/joe not caring about legalities - heck, just check other threads to prove that point. but go back and read that quoted article. "a flammable atmosphere could be created within the container or tank. This atmosphere would be particularly sensitive to ignition because of the increased pressure." get it? when the tank is full of very rich fuel vapor, it's not so easy to ignite. when air is pumped in, at some point the perfect explosive mixture may be reached. probably will be reached. i'm not concerned about mr avg-joe breaking OSHA codes, or even the dastardly airport rules. i'm concerned about the dumb sob blowing himself and his airplane and maybe his hangar up and breaking somebody else's stuff - like mine. most safety rules are written in blood. read them to avoid being a copycat. make NEW mistakes.

Can't disagree with that AT ALL. But I really think the ends would probably blow out, or pucker a bit, before an explosion. Anyone with 1/2 a brain would be watching and see something isn't "quite right" and hit the "E-stop" immediately.

Marshall Alexander