Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to transport auto-gas to airport?

Bob, regular "red plastic" gas jugs are safe and just fine for transporting gas. Keep them in a cool shady spot after you fuel up. Your problem is that you haven't got the right kind of vehicle. You need a truck-with an open bed. Other than that a filter funnel to make sure you're not dumping dirt in your tank and you're good to go.

The additive is Alcor TCP. Sold lots of places. Lots of pilots have used it successfully to reduce plug fouling and valve deposits. Seems to really work unlike many things that people put into their avgas. Google will find the info for you.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Red Plastic gas jugs

Quote Originally Posted by pacerpilot View Post
    Bob, regular "red plastic" gas jugs are safe and just fine for transporting gas. Keep them in a cool shady spot after you fuel up. Your problem is that you haven't got the right kind of vehicle. You need a truck-with an open bed. Other than that a filter funnel to make sure you're not dumping dirt in your tank and you're good to go.
    Don't be too casual with red plastic gas jugs! A very dear friend of mine who was an EAA Chapter 34 member suffered severe burns while fueling his Luscombe using large, red, plastic gas jugs which had been transported in the bed of his pickup truck. Static build up caused a spark which ignited the gas, burning his upper body. He lived a couple more, very painful years before succumbing to his injuries.

Metal cans are somewhat less apt to collect static electricity, but any container of gasoline must be treated with great care.

I got a 300 gal tank, installed it in my drafty hanger and get the local fuel suppler to fll it for me.

Works fine in farm country.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Stadler View Post
    Don't be too casual with red plastic gas jugs! A very dear friend of mine who was an EAA Chapter 34 member suffered severe burns while fueling his Luscombe using large, red, plastic gas jugs which had been transported in the bed of his pickup truck. Static build up caused a spark which ignited the gas, burning his upper body. He lived a couple more, very painful years before succumbing to his injuries.

Metal cans are somewhat less apt to collect static electricity, but any container of gasoline must be treated with great care.
    Yep, one must ground every gas can before pouring. Just setting the jug on the ground (not truck bed to plane/lawn mower/whatever) is enough to discharge them.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    The additive is Alcor TCP. Sold lots of places. Lots of pilots have used it successfully to reduce plug fouling and valve deposits. Seems to really work unlike many things that people put into their avgas. Google will find the info for you.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    I run Alcor TCP in my Corvair powered Junior Ace. It seem to work well. I haven't fouled a plug since adding it to my fuel and I'm getting a little better fuel burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Yep, one must ground every gas can before pouring. Just setting the jug on the ground (not truck bed to plane/lawn mower/whatever) is enough to discharge them.
    I figured safe gas handling was a given. Apparently not.

Uh, nearly 50 replies to this thread about how to carry gasoline to an airport and you really wondered about that?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

In the world of aviation all sorts of common sense stuff is debated until there's a regulation to cover it.

Then the regulation is hotly debated.

You could just buy a fuel truck and use that...