Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to transport auto-gas to airport?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    You can pump fuel from the car fuel tank with a small electric automotive fuel pump and a hose. I haven't tried this, but have seen this done.
    I'd personally discourage that. I mean, why add another potential source of fuel contamination (organic, ethanol, metallic, etc) if you can avoid it?

The guy that owns the CTLS I trained in has a drum that holds about 30 gallons (it's less than a 50 gallon drum) with a setup that puts air in the barrel to pressurize it for the hose and dispensing handle that comes out of it.

The whole thing is on a hand truck dolly setup - so it's easy to move around.

Didn't ask how he gets it up on the truck when it's full at the gas station!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

The only problem with pressurizing a drum is that a drum isn't designed for pressure at all. That's why Van's recommends the balon for pressure testing the fuel tanks for leaks.

Marshall Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    You can pump fuel from the car fuel tank with a small electric automotive fuel pump and a hose.
    decades ago i set up a t-fitting in my car's fuel hose with an outboard motor fuel connector on the leg of the "t". hooked up detachable hose, ran end into fuel tank on plane, turned on ignition switch on car so car's electric pump would run, and preflighted plane. knowing fuel flow rate, i'd monitor time and turn off ignition before the car tank ran dry or the plane tank overflowed. outboard fittings had spring-loaded seals, and i put a cap on outlet end of the hose so it didn't get dirt inside or let stink out in the trunk. i couldn't think of a cheaper way to do it.

Found a link to the portable fueling system he uses (or one very much like it - I think his has a larger capacity):

http://www.portablefuelsystems.com/
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Flo Fast System

Look up the Flo Fast system...I use two 7.5-gal tanks and the hand cranked pump to deliver fuel to the plane with no drips or spills...works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    The only problem with pressurizing a drum is that a drum isn't designed for pressure at all. That's why Van's recommends the balon for pressure testing the fuel tanks for leaks.

Marshall Alexander
    "Transferring liquids by means of air pressure on the container or portable tanks is prohibited. This type of transfer may result in an overpressure that could exceed what the container or tank is designed to withstand. In addition, a flammable atmosphere could be created within the container or tank. This atmosphere would be particularly sensitive to ignition because of the increased pressure. Please remember that this is a general overview of flammable and combustible liquids. For more information, refer to 29 CFR 1910.106 as well as NFPA 30 Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code."

http://www.workplacegroup.net/articl...le-liquids.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Found a link to the portable fueling system he uses (or one very much like it - I think his has a larger capacity):

http://www.portablefuelsystems.com/
    maybe this type?

http://www.fuelchief.com/safefuelhandlingguide.html

if you decide to save a nickle by using the harbor freight rotary pump, think twice. mine works on oil but leaks gasoline.