Thread: Cleaning a fibreglass tank

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cleaning a fibreglass tank

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. Does anyone have advice on cleaning gasoline resin off a fibreglass tank which was allowed to become dry. I have added some gas to the tank and it comes out clear but I’m concerned that resin may flake off the walls of tank.

Thanks for suggestions.

Can you put a roll (or more) of Quarters in it and move it around with fluid...

Or Nickels.....( nothing that might spark )

Count them when your done.

Gotta Fly...

Quote Originally Posted by 99charlie View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. Does anyone have advice on cleaning gasoline resin off a fibreglass tank which was allowed to become dry. I have added some gas to the tank and it comes out clear but I’m concerned that resin may flake off the walls of tank.

Thanks for suggestions.

If the comment "gasoline resin" is actually sloshing compound then you may have a serious problem.
    Over time the sloshing compound can turn to goo.

Thanks for reply Bill. I intended to say ‘gasoline varnish’, ie the coating left on the walls of the tank when the gasoline has evaporated. I don’t know how to remove the varnish without damaging the fibreglass. I will add some fresh gas and slosh it around in the tank, then drain to see if any varnish flakes come out.

Thanks for your reply. Once they are in, I don’t know how could get the coins out of the tank.

I guess you can't remove the tank ?
    This was the only way the coins would work... By tumbling them around in the tank.
    Turning the tank over and shaking until the coins were out.

Sounds like a big fuel filter is needed...
    Gotta Fly...

Quote Originally Posted by 99charlie View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Once they are in, I don’t know how could get the coins out of the tank.

Removing the tank will be very difficult, but if that’s the only option, I will do it and try the coins. Thanks for suggestions,

Push a frayed rope inside and slosh it around.

I’ll try your suggestion. Thanks