Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting a site with electric at Camp Scholler

EAA Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by MNWORD View Post
    Thanks for clarification on the improved sites. I am not afraid of paying for the services of the sites while I am using them. I do understand that there is no refunds for unused time, my issue is not being able to reserve them for a specific arrival date until the end of the show. I WILL not pay for the site from July 2nd to the end of the month to have electricity and water. I did know about the other campsite and that procedure is not a problem!
    I think a little more clarification may be in order.

When you go online to purchase your improved water/electric site, you will see a map that shows each individual, numbered site. As a site is purchased, it will immediately change color, so you can easily see which sites have been purchased and which are still available. This constant updating allows you to monitor which sites in which locations are still available, so that you may delay before purchasing your site, if you wish. There is no need to purchase your site on opening day (July 2) if all you want is to get a site and you won't arrive until later - you can wait it out until the number of remaining sites gets close to selling out, then pull the trigger to get one before they are gone. Be aware that in the past, the last site was sold about 1 week prior to opening day, so paying for 2 weeks minimum was common. This year, it may or may not work out that way, so monitor the website closely if you wait to purchase your site.

Gents! I am not trying to get into a pissing contest with anyone! I just have questions about the sites which is not the normal type of an RV site. I have MANY years of RVing in America and this is not the norm. Someone posted that I am buying the site from the day it was reserved to the end of the show. Why should I pay for the site until the end of the show if it is going to be back filled to another vendor? I am also a Lifetime member and have been coming here for many years so it is not my first AirVenture.
    Well.....there is your answer right there....it's Airventure, not a normal RV site

Personally, I sit and agonize over the decision to pony up the cash for a hook-up site or just use my generator, and due to being a cheapskate I have never paid for the hookup yet! I couldnt stomach paying 3 or 4 times the price for what is really minimal gain, and as long as people are willing to pay the cash there is no incentive for EAA to change it. In fact, each year EAA expands the improved section to include more and more lots. I remember in my early years attending Airventure in a Tent, now tent campers are really quite restricted in where they can camp.

In 2018 I camped in the generator area, never used it, as a matter of fact, I had to put on long pants and a long sleeve shirt a couple of times. This year, if all goes as planned, I'll be camping with my airplane, even though I hate crawling in and out of a tiny tent, but in a Cessna 150, weight and space are not prevalent but I want to FLY IN at least once in my life, so I'll suck it up. 8 lbs down and only 24 more to go to reach my target weight of 190. Hey, 8 lbs is 8 lbs, a gallon of fuel and a snack !
    Bob
    Last edited by robert l; 03-29-2021 at 07:26 PM.

Although I have never used the service, I understand you can have you stuff drop shipped to AirVenture and pick it up when you arrive. Would give you more flexibility. Perhaps on of the forum posters could provide the details???
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Although I have never used the service, I understand you can have you stuff drop shipped to AirVenture and pick it up when you arrive. Would give you more flexibility. Perhaps on of the forum posters could provide the details???

One year, we stopped in Springfield, MO to pick up some stuff for a guy that was flying up to OSH. We were in our motorhome headed up from OKC.

I've camped in Schoeller exactly once. One year when the Navion was down, we came up with our EAA chapter who had a little compound there. Other than that, I've had one year in the dorms, two years camping in the North 40, and about 22 years in Vintage camping.

EAA Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    That is correct, here are the details: https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-...pping-services

Shipping Services

For attendees (not exhibitors/vendors)
    The United States Postal Office will not have a location on the convention site. Do not ship your items via the US Postal Service.
    Shipping Labels: Use these shipping labels for all inbound shipments as they will expedite handling.
    Inbound Shipping - For attendees (not exhibitors/vendors): FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc - Must be picked up at the GES Service Trailer, located on the west side of Exhibit Hangar A.
    Outbound Shipping - For attendees (not exhibitors/vendors): Packages can be shipped out from The UPS Store located on the west side of Exhibit Hangar A.

Thanks Dave, I'll look into that as an option. If I do get to fly the 150, there may be a couple of 172's going also and I could put some of my gear in their plane. Also, there may be someone from our group driving up so there's another option. Right now, I'm still working on the diet! lol
    Bob

Thanks Tim, always good to have options.
    Bob

Tim, this procedure is totally unacceptable! No where in the USA does this even happen at RV campgrounds either private, state parks or federal camping facilities.
    You make reservations, you occupy what you reserve until you leave. How can the EAA expect someone to pay for a site that they will not use? If you make reservations from July 2 or so when you make a reservation to Aug 1 your purchasing the site? If your site is numbered and you have a reservation you should pay for what you use! I have NO issues for paying for what I use, but I will NOT pay for a site that I do NOT occupy or own("purchasing the site")! Once again TOTALLY unacceptable!
    You can't compare it to regular RV parks that are open all year. EAA has to depreciate the cost of an improved site over only one week a year. If you rent a site for any day of AirVenture, you are preventing EAA from renting it to anyone else for any part of AirVenture, so essentially the whole year. Think of it as a one-year lease, because you are getting all the benefit from the site for that year.
    Last edited by dougbush; 03-30-2021 at 12:50 AM.