Thread: Painting Parts

Question Painting Parts

We're making great progress on our fabric covered aircraft and currently in the painting stage. We've been using the complete SuperFlite process with our build. The fuselage and wings are pretty straight forward as we've got a rotisserie to move them for easy painting. Where we're having issues is on the smaller parts (ie. Ailerons, Elevators, Horiz. Stabilizers, Rudder, etc). First we tried suspending them in the paint booth and letting them hang vertically. Since my build partner and I are not professional painters, we got a few runs and sags. After consulting Ron Alexander's EAA Painting book, we decided to move the parts horizontally. This has worked out well and we're getting acceptable parts. The only problem is after allowing the first side to dry and then painting the second side, we're getting some wrap around overspray.

So my question, what's the correct procedure/method for painting these 2-sided parts horizontally?

==
    Michael

Hang em vertical and paint both sides then quickly attach the third wire to hold them horizontal before it runs.
    or
    Hang them horizontal high enough to crouch under for the bottom and use a ladder on the top.
    or
    do one side and let it dry. Then mask it with paper to a seam line.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 02-01-2021 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks Bill! Will give those a try!