Thread: Aircraft Dent Filler Question

Aircraft Dent Filler Question

Hello. Can anyone recommend a type of body/dent filler that could be used on the leading edge of an aluminum wing to fill a small dent (1/4 inch diameter). I have seen the aircraft paint shops using some type of product but I am not sure what it was. I would think that the material would have to be flexible (unlike automotive Bondo) to cope with the flexing and expanding/contracting of the surface of the wing. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by cjmartinflyers View Post
    Hello. Can anyone recommend a type of body/dent filler that could be used on the leading edge of an aluminum wing to fill a small dent (1/4 inch diameter). I have seen the aircraft paint shops using some type of product but I am not sure what it was. I would think that the material would have to be flexible (unlike automotive Bondo) to cope with the flexing and expanding/contracting of the surface of the wing. Thank you.
    People normally use filled epoxy for that kind of thing. West Epoxy plus microballoons, for instance. Alternately, another filled epoxy like superfil, which would be my choice if I didn't have a bunch of composite supplies laying around the shop.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=6925

In either case, you need to clean and scuff the area very well or the epoxy based filler may pop off one day.

Hi Kyle. Thank you for your response. The superfil looks like just what I need and it is available in a small 20 container. Thanks again!

Aircraft Paint shops use ordinary automotive bondo.

A long time ago I worked at an airline and the bag bin floors would get punctured . Out came the BONDO to fill the puncture . That BONDO never came loose. Good stuff.

A 1/4" is pretty small dent. Have you considered a dent puller? I have a small suction cup type dent puller that I bought over a year ago but for a similar size dent on my leading edge. Sorry but haven't used it yet but it makes more sense to me if I can avoid a patch and paint. Bought it off bangood.com.

Some dents will pop back out if you warm them up with a hot air gun then shock it cold from a upside down can of canned air.

Hope this can help.