Thread: what jugs fit on an 0360 A4J ?

Happy what jugs fit on an 0360 A4J ?

I purchased a partially completed kit which came with an O360 A4J (from stamp on casing and looking up on lycoming website - L-19752-36A) and came with a C/S Hartzell prop.

according to the guy i bought it from, the engine has 160 hp cylinders on it.

i'm assuming the crankshaft has been replaced with a hollow one to allow for a C/S prop - how do i tell?

also, trying to figure out shat cylinders would work to take it back to a 180HP.

any guidance is appreciated.

Chris

Sounds like you jumped into the deep end of the pool.

Get your self the Lycoming parts manual for that engine. It will list all of the combinations of components that make up each model engine. It is online and you can download it but my belief is that you want a paper copy on your work table that you can use your highlighter on, add tabs to, etc. Lycoming should be happy to sell you a copy.

Engines that are set up for a constant speed prop have the business end of the crank hollow. Cranks for fixed pitch props have a plug blocking the flange end. Easy to see.

You should also have a prop governor bolted to the back of the engine and a stainless steel tube running from that governor to a steel elbow at the front of the case on, I think, the right side just behind the nose of the case.

This is the education part of homebuilding. Take your time and read a lot.

Best of luck,

Wes

Thanks Wes. I'll call lycoming in the morning.