Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solo Flying Minimum Age?

Glad to know that there is no minimum age required to fly solo.

Yes there is...you must be 16 to fly a powered airplane solo.

Quote Originally Posted by MickYoumans View Post
    Even though you can't be a student pilot and solo until you are 16, there is nothing wrong with flying in the right seat and learning everything you can in the mean time.
    Forget the right seat, move over to the left seat. This can be done with either another private pilot, sport pilot or cfi.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    If you have a passion for aviation and want to fly solo, look into learning to fly an ultralight airplane. No minimum age requirement to fly an ultralight. Wish they'd been around when I soloed at 16 and got my license when I turned 17. I would have gone that route first.
    This is good advice but it is not intended to just go out and fly an ultralight without training. You can get dual in a part 23 or light sport aircraft then under the supervision of an instructor experianced in ultralights solo the ultralight. This can be done at any age. Ten and twelve year olds have flown ultralights solo safely. It is never to early to start learning. Do not overlook paragliders and WSC operations in addition to fixed wing or rotorcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    This is good advice but it is not intended to just go out and fly an ultralight without training. You can get dual in a part 23 or light sport aircraft then under the supervision of an instructor experianced in ultralights solo the ultralight. This can be done at any age. Ten and twelve year olds have flown ultralights solo safely. It is never to early to start learning. Do not overlook paragliders and WSC operations in addition to fixed wing or rotorcraft.

Yep, get instruction. If you want to be legally flying solo at 13, flying something under Part 103 is probably your best choice.

As for "solo", one can fly left seat on the Space Shuttle and they still won't view themselves as "a pilot". But they'll become an aviator in their soul when they take whatever the craft is around the pattern alone for the first time. Solo is THE "rite of passage" in aviation. I was lucky enough to do it at 16. I would have felt the same "rite of passage" if I had done it at 96.

At my flight school,i can solo at 14, and im 13