Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY remote switch

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    The switch I linked has a built in relay and works as-is.
    Sorry Kyle, I meant that the RTU-5054 requires a relay.

As Andy says in his SA article, the RTU-5014 is less expensive because it does not have a relay, and only works with a GSM network. There is also more DIY effort involved, but Jass said in his original post that he is looking for less expensive. At about $30 all in the RTU-5024 is just about the least expensive way to go, so you pays your money and takes your choice. You will have to buy a phone plan for your remote switch regardless if it is GSM only, or is able to use 4G/5G.

Bob

I still have a GSM auto kicking around somewhere (unless I gave it away to someone). That was my second way of controlling my remote heater when I had the unheated hangar at CJR. It worked just fine except that the hangar was 100% metal and the cell phone didn't work with the doors closed. Fortunately, I had a left over exterior cell phone antenna from a previous project so I just poked that out the eaves of the hangar and connected it up.

My first controller was a combination of a mechanical line-voltage thermostat (like you control electric baseboards with) and an Intermatic seven day electronic timer. I set the thing to come on every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning at 2AM (this was a Tannis so it took some time) when the temperature was below 45.