Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2021?

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    From listening close to the ground, it sounds like this is going to be a masks on (or highly mask encouraged) event at this point.
    No need to keep your ear to the ground - we've laid it all out at EAA.org/COVID. Masks are encouraged but not required.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

So Hal, I just went to the link and immediately have several comments/ questions...

Will the water fountains/troughs (bubblers for wisconsinites) and water stations be active/available this year?
    Will the restrooms in the exhibit buildings be open and can we expect every other stall closed?
    Seating on shuttle buses is not addressed. Will every other row be closed? Can we expected longer delays or is EAA bringing in more assets to offset reduced? Same questions about the trams.
    How are food services being effected? Reduced seating capacity? Fewer vendors etc?
    What can we expect for the workshops? Fewer work stations or no at all? Same question for forums. Some forums you can count attendees on one hand and others are standing room only. How is that situation going to handled. And I’m not talking about interview circle events.
    Will here be a meet the Administrator forum? Will here be multiple sessions due to reduced seating?

I understand it’s a HUGE task to get information out and someone is going to unhappy no matter how hard you try. Ya got to remember that most of us are on he outside looking in and is no intuitively obvious. Most EAAers will work around the changes but knowing in advance is the key.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I'm going to finish my ties to Appleton Airport coming and going with Pronto Cab. The busses just don't fit an individual need. Getting shuttle tickets between The Air Venture and Gruenhagen Conference and any thing on the grounds of Air Venture I will leave for check-in. I tried Lamers bus, Korbussen bus they have medical vans and school busses. AMTRAK bus is for train connections. Greyhound I decided to skip now that I am coming to Appleton and not Green Bay. I'm looking forward to an in person, after let's see, 1969-present with digital simulations.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    So Hal, I just went to the link and immediately have several comments/ questions...

Will the water fountains/troughs (bubblers for wisconsinites) and water stations be active/available this year?
    Will the restrooms in the exhibit buildings be open and can we expect every other stall closed?
    Seating on shuttle buses is not addressed. Will every other row be closed? Can we expected longer delays or is EAA bringing in more assets to offset reduced? Same questions about the trams.
    How are food services being effected? Reduced seating capacity? Fewer vendors etc?
    What can we expect for the workshops? Fewer work stations or no at all? Same question for forums. Some forums you can count attendees on one hand and others are standing room only. How is that situation going to handled. And I’m not talking about interview circle events.
    Will here be a meet the Administrator forum? Will here be multiple sessions due to reduced seating?

I understand it’s a HUGE task to get information out and someone is going to unhappy no matter how hard you try. Ya got to remember that most of us are on he outside looking in and is no intuitively obvious. Most EAAers will work around the changes but knowing in advance is the key.
    These are some really great questions, Dave, and I will pass them along to the people who can answer them. I'm only guessing, but I suspect that some of them may not have answers quite yet as planning continues to evolve, but I will work to get as many of them addressed in the FAQ as soon as we can. Thanks for the thoughtful input!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    No need to keep your ear to the ground - we've laid it all out at EAA.org/COVID. Masks are encouraged but not required.
    Based on a conference call with the powers that be this evening it is subject to requirements set by the state of Wisconsin or the City of Oshkosh at the time of AV. Such requirements can change at any time. I believe Wisconsin's mask requirement is set to expire in the near future but it could be reinstated or not.

Well that is a convoluted story....
    For those who don’t know the State Legislature overturned the Governor’s Executive Order mask mandate last month which he could not veto. So he promptly issued a new Executive Order (#105) requiring masks to be worn state-wide which is good for 60 days. In the meantime, the Legislature has taken the Governor back to the Wis SC to get his authority nixed like they did last year over his lockdown mandates. The mask mandate will either be killed by the Wis SC, die a natural death in April, or be renewed by a new EO in April. Just to make things interesting, Winnebago County has crafted a county-wide mask mandate order which is sitting at the ready and only needs the county supervisors to sign in case the governor loses at the Wis SC.
    But you’re right, public health requirements could change rapidly. Infection and vaccination rates are trending positively. However, if the new variant starting to sweep thru Europe hits us say early summer things here could go south quickly. EAA has a tough planning job but it is easier to delete requirements on the fly than get them reinstated in the short term.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I keep wondering when anyone from staff will answer the question on what used to be the green route. Lots of handicapped and seniors that have trouble walking used this route, also how are people supposed to get to bus park to get busses to museum, kid venture, etc ? Will there be special busses or do we just tell them to start walking ? I keep reading updates, but haven t seen this adressed yet

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    I keep wondering when anyone from staff will answer the question on what used to be the green route. Lots of handicapped and seniors that have trouble walking used this route, also how are people supposed to get to bus park to get busses to museum, kid venture, etc ? Will there be special busses or do we just tell them to start walking ? I keep reading updates, but haven t seen this adressed yet
    Hello skyfixer,

We did look at many sides of the matter before changing that particular route. Among the particulars that were part of the discussion:

• With the move of the shuttle hub west from its former location to the new one, the route is about 25-30 percent shorter. By the time a shuttle is loaded/unloaded, driven to the destination, and brought back, the time needed for that no longer made it efficient to operate.
    • The 2019 Northwestern study of our internal transportation, which interviewed thousands of AirVenture attendees while they were here, recommended using the shuttles there for other longer routes on the grounds where there were urgent needs of additional transportation.
    • The shuttle is subject to both wristband and bag checks every time it went through the airport fence, which further slows things down for the riders especially on a now-shorter route such as this one.

We do have options for disabled or handicapped visitors that we’re happy to provide, from the CARTS program to get you where you need to go to the availability of the electric one-person carts right at the main gate. Our policy is if there is a need for our visitors to reach a certain destination, we want to get you there. As with any first-year change, I’m sure we’ll learn some things that will help everyone as we move forward.

Thanks!

So Sam..... I'm 72 with limited mobility, but not disabled or handicapped. I just can't walk far (arthritic knees). Reducing the very long walk to the bus park by about 25% means that instead of being too dang far to be forced to walk, it will now be too doggone far to be forced to walk? Swell, who wanted to visit the Museum or Pioneer anyway?

Glad EAA is taking the advice of young and nimble kids on how to run an event attended by older people.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

If you see a cart with any nimble kids flag them down and get a ride. They aren't actually going anywhere anyway.